News VLIW CPU in a Desktop: Enthusiasts Crowdfund Elbrus-Based Mini-ITX Motherboard

setx

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2014
There are no (or virtually no) viruses developed for the proprietary VLIW architecture.
If its x86 emulation is enough to properly run protected programs (including game anti-cheats etc.) then it's also enough to "properly" run x86 viruses.

icmn223

Commendable
Apr 8, 2020
They forgot to mention Transmeta. Their CPUs were also using a 128-bit VLIW architecture running their CMS x86 emulation code.

Nov 21, 2020
They forgot to mention Transmeta. Their CPUs were also using a 128-bit VLIW architecture running their CMS x86 emulation code.
Only Fred (AKA "Crusoe"). Astro, sorry, "Efficeon" and "Efficeon 2" were both 256-bit VLIW, but instructions had variable length encoding to avoid the bloat. There was some connection between Transmeta and Elbrus, but I don't know the full story. I know they worked on the FPU for Crusoe.

Nov 21, 2020
Despite being in possession of multiple VLIW based computers (multiple Transmeta products and one Itanic), I don't understand who would purchase this: no documentation, poor performance, ancient standards, and no historical significance.