[SOLVED] VM and viruses.

Dominum_vestri

Commendable
Jan 14, 2020
I have a kinda basic question. If I setup VM with Win 10 on my PC, turn off my WiFi, and open virus of anykind, is the rest of my PC unefected by the virus?

Solution
I have a kinda basic question. If I setup VM with Win 10 on my PC, turn off my WiFi, and open virus of anykind, is the rest of my PC unefected by the virus?
Depends on a few things.

How and if you have any shared space between the VM and the host.
Also, recent VM's can detect if the OS they are living is in a VM, and won't do their deed. Doesn't mean they are 'safe', just meants that your investigation will end up faulty.

USAFRet

Titan
Depends on a few things.

How and if you have any shared space between the VM and the host.
Also, recent VM's can detect if the OS they are living is in a VM, and won't do their deed. Doesn't mean they are 'safe', just meants that your investigation will end up faulty.

Solution

Ralston18

Titan
This from Post #4:

"Because I have one program i'd like to download, but the site is untrust worthy and when I download it windows defender automaticly deletes the file".

Stop right there.

1. Untrustworthy website.
  2. Windows Defender deletes the file.

Do not keep trying to download that file and do not go to that website again.

If you manage to succeed with the download and installation then things will get much worse.....

Reactions: Dominum_vestri

Yes and no. Some viruses can break level 0 and 1 rings. This means it can escape the sandbox of a vm. Once you break this sandbox system infection is easy.

What a lot of security professionals do is run windows vm inside Linux. It's much harder to break that way.

But if you do stupid stuff expect stupid stuff to happen. In other words don't do stupid stuff.

Reactions: COLGeek