[SOLVED] VM has LAN but not internet access since upgrading from Win7 to Win10

Joshy471

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
Hi,

I had a standard Windows 7 virtual machine on our network that needed upgrading to Windows 10. The virtual machine is connected to the domain with a virtual switch, and had never had any issues with current setup.

Unfortunately removing the computer from the domain didn't occur to me before running the upgrade, so once it was complete there was an IP conflict in DHCP. After resolving the conflict, the Win10 VM was able to connect to the domain and still can.

The Windows Network icon in the system tray presents that it is connected to the domain with internet access, however any attempt to reach the internet from this machine is unsuccessful. I've tried a full network reset with windows' settings, winsock reset from cmd, release/renew/flushdns, removing and re-joining domain, removing network adapter from VM settings and putting it back in after a restart... Nothing has been fruitful.

I can still access the domain including pinging other computers on the network and accessing shares, but pinging anywhere on the internet times out.

I have also checked all of the addresses for gateway, dhcp, subnet mask, etc. and all are looking as expected.

Just wondered if anyone had any bright ideas that might help me resolve this.

Many thanks to all who reply.

Solution
I'be seen some computers that when you upgrade the OS sometimes the included LAN drivers don't work and a manual installation of the device drivers can fix it. Just a guess, but something to try.
D

Deleted member 14196

Upgrade? Why on earth would you upgrade a virtual machine? Install windows 10 clean on a new virtual machine And then join the domain

Joshy471

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
Upgrade? Why on earth would you upgrade a virtual machine? Install windows 10 clean on a new virtual machine And then join the domain
Hi Mandark,

We did it as an upgrade as there's some legacy CCTV software running that's all set up in a way we don't want to lose. That's another problem in itself... However doing a fresh install isn't really something I'm considering here - I just want to restore internet connectivity.

Try loading the LAN device driver manually.
Thanks William, but would you mind explaining this a little further, please?

Joshy471

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
So the problem got a bit weirder, but hopefully this will make finding the solution easier!

I removed the computer from the domain then uninstalled the network adapter and rebooted. When it came back on, the internet was working.

I reconnected the computer to the domain and restarted again, and now the internet doesn't work.

So is something in the domain blocking this? DHCP? DNS? Where should I be looking? All the IP configuration looks great so I assume DHCP isn't the problem