VMs -- on SSD with OS, or on separate drive (HDD)?

shmu26

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2014
host: windows 10 pro x64, on SSD
i-5 6500
8 gb ram

guests:
windows xp x86
windows 7 x86
xubuntu x86

I use VMs mainly for light apps, with an occasional burst of CPU activity when I am using a search tool.
Is it better to keep the VMs on my SSD in a separate partition, or should I put them on a separate disk, which in my case would be a HDD?

Solution

Either works. Just remember to leave sufficient free space on that SSD.
And I wouldn't bother with a whole other partition.
Just put them in one top level folder.

Except for a different drive letter, partitions are kind of useless on an SSD. Unlike a spinning drive, there is no real physical division with different partitions. It is just a logical division, that it shows to you, the user.
The SSD firmware puts the bits where it pleases.

shmu26

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2014
thanks.
I use a separate partition because of my backup program (Macrium reflect).
I make system images in incremental backups, and every time there is a little change in a VM, it is a big change in the backup. So I keep them out of the way on a separate partition.

USAFRet

Titan

Depending on what space you designate for each, that leftover ~120GB may not be enough. Or it might be.
But having it on the other SSD is pretty good. My LinuxMint VM goes from OFF to fully usable in about 11 secs.

shmu26

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2014
my VMs are small, I have plenty of space on the SSD even with them.

but I only have 1 SSD.

the choice is whether to ship them out to a separate HDD, or let them share the SSD with the OS.

USAFRet

Titan

Either works. Just remember to leave sufficient free space on that SSD.
And I wouldn't bother with a whole other partition.
Just put them in one top level folder.

Except for a different drive letter, partitions are kind of useless on an SSD. Unlike a spinning drive, there is no real physical division with different partitions. It is just a logical division, that it shows to you, the user.
The SSD firmware puts the bits where it pleases.

Solution