Question VMs Performance on Two Different Physical Machines

osamamansoor

Reputable
Sep 8, 2016
Hi,
I need help to understand will each VMs performance will effect if Physical Hardware is changed.
I am running HYPER-V on Two Different Physical Machines. One machine is IBM Blade Center S (Production Environment) and the Second Machine is HP DL380p Gen8 (DR Machine)

I have provided resources to different VM according to need/requirement of each VM. I have a plan which indicates Min-RAM, MAX-RAM, Virtual Processor for each VM. I am planning more to run my VMs in case if IBM BLADE CENTERS (Physical Machine) goes completely down and I have to UP VM's from DR Physical Server also have Hyper-V role

I am confused will change of physical machine effects on each VM performance or not and I can run these VMs on the same resources (Processor, RAM) on which they are running in Production. (Like Processor, RAM) or needs to increase resources if I will machine on DR Machine.
PRODUCTION MACHINE
IBM BLADE CENTER S
Qty.3 Computes in CHASIS Built-in Storage (SAN) in CHASIS
Failover Cluster Configured
Raid 5 and Raid 10

DR MACHINE
HP DL380 Gen8
Raid 5

Actually my mission is to take understanding of the ratio between IBM and HP machines as we use IBM machine in Production with Fail-over cluster and HP Machines have no SAN in-place and use it's local SAS drive for storing the data as I am concern if I have to run VM from HP so is there any difference in terms of performance.
For Example I have my VM named as "StarWinds" running in IBM servers with 16 GB RAM and 8 Virtual Processor and its quite comfortable in Production Servers (IBM) so in case I have to run it on HP server having No Cluster will Clusters, Machine Architecture will effect on this if I run it on same specs or should I have to give extra resources when running on DR.

Below is the Physical Server Specification on which I mention some of the major points if you have some other points for comparison please comment

http://bit.ly/2oplv30

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS