• Find an incredible deal for Black Friday or Cyber Monday? Share those epic bargains with the community by posting them in this forum thread!

Question VMs Performance on Two Different Physical Machines

osamamansoor

Reputable
Sep 8, 2016
Hi,
I need help to understand will each VMs performance will effect if Physical Hardware is changed.
I am running HYPER-V on Two Different Physical Machines. One machine is IBM Blade Center S (Production Environment) and the Second Machine is HP DL380p Gen8 (DR Machine)

I have provided resources to different VM according to need/requirement of each VM. I have a plan which indicates Min-RAM, MAX-RAM, Virtual Processor for each VM. I am planning more to run my VMs in case if IBM BLADE CENTERS (Physical Machine) goes completely down and I have to UP VM's from DR Physical Server also have Hyper-V role

I am confused will change of physical machine effects on each VM performance or not and I can run these VMs on the same resources (Processor, RAM) on which they are running in Production. (Like Processor, RAM) or needs to increase resources if I will machine on DR Machine.
PRODUCTION MACHINE
IBM BLADE CENTER S
Qty.3 Computes in CHASIS Built-in Storage (SAN) in CHASIS
Failover Cluster Configured
Raid 5 and Raid 10

DR MACHINE
HP DL380 Gen8
Raid 5

Actually my mission is to take understanding of the ratio between IBM and HP machines as we use IBM machine in Production with Fail-over cluster and HP Machines have no SAN in-place and use it's local SAS drive for storing the data as I am concern if I have to run VM from HP so is there any difference in terms of performance.
For Example I have my VM named as "StarWinds" running in IBM servers with 16 GB RAM and 8 Virtual Processor and its quite comfortable in Production Servers (IBM) so in case I have to run it on HP server having No Cluster will Clusters, Machine Architecture will effect on this if I run it on same specs or should I have to give extra resources when running on DR.

Below is the Physical Server Specification on which I mention some of the major points if you have some other points for comparison please comment

http://bit.ly/2oplv30

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS