Vmware quick question

Graham_13

Commendable
Jul 31, 2016
Ok I installed vmware esxi on my server I'm about to install 2012r2 on my server, can I just directly install it on the server or do I have to do something on the vsphere client first?

Solution
Yeah, I don't think you quite understand what ESXi is. It's a hypervisor - it takes the place of your host OS. VMWare Workstation is a virtualization program which installs on a system running Windows or Linux. VMWare ESXi is basically its own OS and virtualization program wrapped up in one.

So you install ESXi directly onto the server. Then you install VSphere Client onto a different computer, and use it to connect to the ESXi server. Then you can transfer install ISOs to the ESXi server and create and install virtual machines on it.
Yeah, I don't think you quite understand what ESXi is. It's a hypervisor - it takes the place of your host OS. VMWare Workstation is a virtualization program which installs on a system running Windows or Linux. VMWare ESXi is basically its own OS and virtualization program wrapped up in one.

So you install ESXi directly onto the server. Then you install VSphere Client onto a different computer, and use it to connect to the ESXi server. Then you can transfer install ISOs to the ESXi server and create and install virtual machines on it.

Solution