Question (VMware workstation) Virtual Machines failed to RDP Connection after sometimes ?

Sep 2, 2021
This issue happens frequently until I restarted the NAT network adapter in VMware and everything becomes normal and all VM can be RDP.

After some while, RDP doesn't be work anymore with returning these error
  1. " An internal error has occurred"
  2. "error code 0x4"
  3. "error code "0x204"
  4. "This computer can't connect to the remote computer.
*all client-servers receive the errors at the same time and all VM RDP not working.

I do have up to 50 VMware clients and all are enabled for Windows RDP.

Server OS: Windows Server 2012 R2
RAM: 240GB
Storage: 20TB

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2021
Explain your layout--where is this virtual machine running and what client are you trying to rdp from?
My virtual machines are currently running on my machine , Windows Server 2012 r2 , I have around 50 clients. All the virtual machines use Windows Server 2012 r2 too. Then the thing i stated above happened , i have to restart the nat service to fix it.

Yes it worked previously , until 2 days ago. What do you mean by where are the rdp clients connecting from? Like their house or something?
If it worked previously, my thought is that an update broke it.

So if I got this right, you have VMs running on your server that someone can RDP into, where are they being RPD'd in from? Where's the RDP client? Same network? Same system?

Sep 2, 2021
If it worked previously, my thought is that an update broke it.

So if I got this right, you have VMs running on your server that someone can RDP into, where are they being RPD'd in from? Where's the RDP client? Same network? Same system?
There were no updates.
They RDP in because they are my clients , the RDP client is at their house , and the machine is at my house. Different network different system

There's always some sort of updates unless you have them shut off somehow, and even then there's probably some sort of updates/changes.

Got it, so a real RDP client. What does the "NAT network adapter in VMware" do? Does it service as a NATing network device? How is the server connected to Internet access and what is the network route by which the clients RDP in?

Sep 2, 2021
Client use RDP to connect with their server. This is for building project and I port forward the RDP to public network and they can excess to it anytimes.
What do you mean by physical box? Is it like Proxmox or ESXi? The NAT is for forwarding.

Only thing I can think of is the same update across all the clients that broke the same thing on the client side or reset an RDP session setting. But generally ime when something like this breaks, it's due to a change somewhere because software generally keeps running the same as it always has (just like hardware) unless it's trying to be 'smart'.

Exactly--a client side change can still cause this. There will eventually be an update on the server side that will address the issue, but in the meantime there has to be a workaround somehow. Can you make it so that NAT resets every hour or something like that?