VOB to Mpeg

olrac

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2001
O.K, I figured out how to dump a dvd onto my hardrive but what program can I use to convert these massive files into something smaller like a mpeg 4?

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
There's a whole slew of Dvd ripping tutorials on the net. You'll have to grab *the* decoder, and convert the video. Then convert the audio. Then sync them together.

It takes at least 6 hours total time. That's just processor time.

FatBurger

Illustrious
<A HREF="http://www.divx.com" target="_new">Divx</A>

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
sure hope your comp is fast, and has a bunch of ram (AT LEAST 256!) otherwise you will be looking at not using the computer for quite a while...whilst it converts it to the heavenly divx codec, the codec of the gods...hehe

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
but i am pretty sure that it will still take a while to do it...converting and compressing 7 gigs of stuff .....that is a lot.

-DAvid

olrac

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2001
Well, I used cladMdec 1.5 to rip America's Sweetheart into 4 vob files which took about a 15 min. Then it took about 2 hours to convert those vob files into a avi file at pretty good qaulity(about 1.3 gigs in file size). After that it took about 20 min using virtual dub to merge the audio and video. The end result was a pretty good avi movie file. The only thing I did wrong is I should have used made the quality slightly less because the file size is approximately 1500 mb which won't fit on two cd's. Oh well, now I know for next time. It took well over 3 hours and this is a short movie. Pearl harbour is 10 gigs so I would imagine at least 6 hours for something that big.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
yeah, which is a while...
but hey, kinda worth it...and fun...compression is cool...
hehe...
i mean damn, i have titan AE on a 700meg cd, and it is near dvd quality...only problem i have with it is that the audio is a bit quiet...but that can be compensated...

-DAvid

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hello olradude

Good info on this subject can be found in software under video editing. Go to <A HREF="http://www.doom9.org" target="_new">http://www.doom9.org</A> for guides and downloads.

I don't know what compressor you are using but it clearly does not let you choose a final file size which puts it at a disadvantage to Fair Use or Nandub. Both FU and ND allow you to select a final file size with a Meg or so which maximizes quality. You can pick 699MB or 1399MB to exactly fit on one or two disks.

Fair Use is super easy to use as it does all the video work automatically and all you need to do is rip compress and mux in the sound. Fair Use is my favorite but it is very slow and will not work from rips made by other rippers.

Nandub is a lot harder to use but is much faster and will work from rips. Nandub is faster because it runs the whole conversion once to gather information and then runs again using that information. Fair Use is slower because it does the whole thing 4 or 5 times and picks the best of each stream.

Remember if you ain't Muslim you ain't Shiite.