[SOLVED] Vodafone 1gig set up

Nov 29, 2021
Quick question,

Getting Vodafone 1 gigfast in soon and was looking to get some advice.

Currently everyroom in the house has a phone socket with Cat5e cabling, none of which is being used for phones i may add.
Once Vodafone does there thing,is it possible for me to install a switch in the attic and run a feed up to it from the phone socket that sits beside the router/modem and then using the current cables that run to each room replace the phone socket faceplates with a ethernet socket ?

Connection, i think would be as follows:

Make connection from router/modem to ethernet faceplate beside router/modem.....up the conduit in the wall to switch in the attic ( feed in ).
Cut the current cat5e cables that are running to phone sockets in rooms and replace the ends,insert into switchin the attic.
Change faceplates in rooms to ethernet plates and simply connect devices.

Would that work or is it best to pull all cables out and replace with cat7 but still have the same overall connection method from router/modem etc.

Thanks

Last edited:
Solution
I don't think you will be able to pull the cables out if they were put in before the wall went in. They are generally stapled to the wood behind the wall. But if you really have a conduit to every room that is the best possible long term design.

Cat5e is rated to 1gbit so you should have no issues I would wait until you get 10g ports.

Now it all depends on how the cables run. If you have a separate cable running to each jack it is as simple as you describe. I would use a patch panel in the attic and then use short commercial patch cables. It can be very tricky to put ends on cables when you have not done it before. The punch downs on a patch panel are much easier for a beginner and there are many that no longer need a...
I don't think you will be able to pull the cables out if they were put in before the wall went in. They are generally stapled to the wood behind the wall. But if you really have a conduit to every room that is the best possible long term design.

Cat5e is rated to 1gbit so you should have no issues I would wait until you get 10g ports.

Now it all depends on how the cables run. If you have a separate cable running to each jack it is as simple as you describe. I would use a patch panel in the attic and then use short commercial patch cables. It can be very tricky to put ends on cables when you have not done it before. The punch downs on a patch panel are much easier for a beginner and there are many that no longer need a special punch down tool. Will be a bit more expensive but you should never have to touch it again. Worst you would have to replace one of the patch cables.

When you look for a switch check the temps they can run at. You can find models that will run in a hot attic. What is strange is most will not run below freezing but there are some that will. The other concern would be power. Most UPS will not run in attic. You might find a switch that can run PoE

Now if your phone sockets are daisy chained together it is not likely you are going to be able to use it for ethernet.

Solution
Nov 29, 2021
Ok,thanks for the information.

So,

1. Check if existing cables are daisy chained, will do.

2. Check if all rooms have conduit, will do.

3. Check for panel and temperture, will do.
Any suggestions ?

4. Why would it not run in the attic ?
I've a 240v supply on a fused spur that i use for the cctv recorder, can i not just tap into that supply to run the switch ?

5. Point taken about end connections and just using punch down, will do.

Knowing my luck it wont be as simple but that will become much clearer once i cjeck all the rooms for conduit, i've checked the one from the master socket and it runs all the way to the attic in conduit so fingers crossed the others are the same.

Thanks

It depends on the temperature of the attic. Something very simple like a switch can be more easily designed to handle the extremes. Things like a UPS that has batteries is much harder. If you have a recording device in the attic that too likely is not rated for the extreme temperature variations you see in a attic.

kanewolf

Titan
Ok,thanks for the information.

So,

1. Check if existing cables are daisy chained, will do.

2. Check if all rooms have conduit, will do.

3. Check for panel and temperture, will do.
Any suggestions ?

4. Why would it not run in the attic ?
I've a 240v supply on a fused spur that i use for the cctv recorder, can i not just tap into that supply to run the switch ?

5. Point taken about end connections and just using punch down, will do.

Knowing my luck it wont be as simple but that will become much clearer once i cjeck all the rooms for conduit, i've checked the one from the master socket and it runs all the way to the attic in conduit so fingers crossed the others are the same.

Thanks
It sounds like you are comfortable crawling in your attic. Even if your phone cables are daisy chained, you can always use the existing cables to help locate locations to drill for new cable.
Your attic temperatures will depend on where you live. If it is Texas then your attic is probably 120+ in the summer (mine is -- I have temp probes there).
You need to read the specs from the manufacturer on the max temp. Most cheaper switches are 40C (105F). For attic usage you want 50C or 55C rated hardware.