[SOLVED] Vodafone 910Mbps speeds suddenly dropped.

TommyRobz

Commendable
Jun 30, 2020
Hi people, so I've currently had Vodafone’s Gigafast 900 FTTP broadband since November and everything was brilliant up until recently when the speeds have nearly halved.

I'm on an direct ethernet connection to my desktop via a Deco S4 mesh system.

These are the speeds I'd regular get at first: https://www.speedtest.net/result/14060984223.png

Now it's more along the lines of this: https://www.speedtest.net/result/14280379964.png but where as before my speeds wouldn't really vary, now they can vary by around 80Mbps almost like the connection is being used. Also a couple of different speed test websites the download starts at 400Mbps and then will gradually start shooting down until it ends up at around 100 and something Mbps. Maybe this is just a bug in the browser or unrelated I'm not sure.

Really I'd just like to determine if it's actually something on my end or if it's down to factors out of my control, which is why I'm here really as I'm stuck how to 100% determine it's nothing in my setup that's causing this. Another thing to note is that my minimum guaranteed speeds are 455Mbps so could be something cynical by Vodafone as well.

Solution
Technically the connection can be "used". You share the single strand of fiber coming to your house with a bunch of your neighbors. It is not uncommon for many gpon systems to have up to 64 possible other connections.

Best way to check this is to try to test at different times of day. Very early in the morning tends to be the lowest usage time.

I would first try to plug your pc into the box that vodafone provides. That should isolate everything to just your pc and the ISP. Makes it easier when you complain to the ISP because they can't attempt to blame the router.

It might be the PC i have one that does that and you reboot it and it goes back to maximum. I have never been able to figure out why it does that. Try...
Technically the connection can be "used". You share the single strand of fiber coming to your house with a bunch of your neighbors. It is not uncommon for many gpon systems to have up to 64 possible other connections.

Best way to check this is to try to test at different times of day. Very early in the morning tends to be the lowest usage time.

I would first try to plug your pc into the box that vodafone provides. That should isolate everything to just your pc and the ISP. Makes it easier when you complain to the ISP because they can't attempt to blame the router.

It might be the PC i have one that does that and you reboot it and it goes back to maximum. I have never been able to figure out why it does that. Try another pc it would be unlikely 2 have the same issue.

If you were to log into the vodafone box does it have any ability to run a speedtest. I was surprised that large number of these fiber routers that ISP use have the feature. That would eliminate your pc as the cause.

Solution

TommyRobz

Commendable
Jun 30, 2020
Thanks for your response @bill001g you hit the nail on the head!

I decided to try and get in touch with Vodafone again after just being fobbed off before with the 'you are hitting the minimum speed' blurb, this time they instructed me to connect the original router, as you suggested, and that they had changed a setting their end. Having done all that everything is back to max speeds again, thank you very much!