Voice Cable Modem Problem?

jimr1354

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2013
I just bought a Netgear CM500V modem. Been working good. Usually the led lights are all green. Today the upstream led is solid amber. I looked in the manual that came with it and not much in there. It did say that when the led is amber,that only one channel is locked. I called Netgear and they werent much help. They said its just not giving me ultraspeed but everything should be ok. If my speed changes, I will have to call my ISP (Comcast) and have them come out and lock another channel in for me. Not the answer I was looking for. Any way to fix it so the light is green again or is everything ok as it is?

Try power cycling it. Cable networks are not static things. The cable company has to reallocate the subnets from time to time depending on how much traffic you and your neighbors are generating relative to other neighbors. When they do this, the channels assigned to your modem can change. It's supposed to update to the new channels automatically. But sometimes it needs a kick in the pants to do it, like power cycling.

If the power cycle doesn't help, call your ISP and ask them to reset your modem. That's a direct instruction to the modem to do the same thing. Note that some cable companies give you the option to issue a reset yourself via their website, if you login to your account.

jimr1354

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2013
I tried the power cycling and the led light still start on solid amber, but a day ago it changed back to solid GREEN. Don't know what happened at least it seems to be fixed. Thanks for the reply!

jimr1354

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2013
*********UPDATE**********
The modem amber light switched back to green again. Seems like everything is ok. This modem is on Comcasts list as one that is ok to use on their system.

TRENDING THREADS