Voip capability question

lonnuss

Reputable
Jun 3, 2015
Let me start by saying that my knowledge of phone systems and voip is very limited. I work for a small retail store with about 30 employees. By necessity our phone system is being changed to a voip system and I'm in charge of easing the transition for the employees.

Right now our phone system has 7 lines. We have 6 phones distributed around our store where our sales staff can pick up phone calls on plus a few in the back offices. Right now an employee can pick up line 1, put it back on hold, switch to a different phone, and pick the call back up from line 1. This system has worked very well for us for 10+ years.

Our phone contractor tells me that our new voip system can not function this way. I question this because in the past when they have told us things weren't possible and we have discovered later that they are possible but difficult for the contractor to implement (I have no control over hiring this contractor unfortunately). The proposed new system would function like this: call comes in and is answered by the receptionist, she puts it on hold on line 140, sales person picks up call by dialing 4140, puts the call back on hold but now it is on line 138, switches phones and picks the call back up by dialing 4138. Most of our staff is part time retired people or high school kids and this is very confusing for them.

So my question is could we make our voip system mimic our current system?

Solution
You can, you will have to find proper VoiP provider, and you have to spend like $100 for good phone set (not a basic handset with numeric keypad only, but a desktop version with large screen and many hotkeys). Then your contractor / PBX adminsitrator should setup the system so that every incoming like has its own access key on the phone set.
You can, you will have to find proper VoiP provider, and you have to spend like $100 for good phone set (not a basic handset with numeric keypad only, but a desktop version with large screen and many hotkeys). Then your contractor / PBX adminsitrator should setup the system so that every incoming like has its own access key on the phone set.

Solution