VoIP, WLAN and LAN situation in home network. Need help/input/advices!

NindoOne

Honorable
May 1, 2013
Hi,
I have just recently changed ISP and simultaneously from "Cable-TV internet" to fiber. This made it impossible for me to use my old router because it did not have a WAN-port, instead it had a coaxial cable-port.

I got this new device from my new ISP, Ping Communications NPA201E (closest to datasheet I could find here). It is a "Analog Telephone Adapter". Basically it works as a router that consists of a WAN, LAN and two IP-Phone ports.

The problem is that the new device, the NPA201E, has no Wireless Network and too few LAN-ports to be useful as we need at least three LAN ports in this household (and Wireless). I looked around the internet for different router options and I really like the Asus RT-N65U one. However this router does not have a VoIP port.

Now for my question. If I were to buy the Asus RT-N65U, is it possible to connect my devices in a way where I can use the NPA201E's VoIP ports, but then use the RT-N65U as a switch + Wi-Fi access device? I'm thinking something like this:

Internet port
|
NPA201E --- IP-Phones
|
RT-N65U --- Wireless Devices (Phones, Laptops, Consoles)
|
LAN Devices (PCs)

So, will this networking hierarchy work, i.e. give all my devices internet access? Is there any problems that may occur? Alternately, is there any router out there that can provide:
  • ■ Wireless network
    ■ VoIP ports
    ■ 4 LAN ports
    ■ Support 100/100Mbps internet connection

In all likelihood, you can simply patch the VOIP adapter *behind* your new router via one of its LAN ports (WAN to LAN) and it would work just fine. You just need to make sure the network used by the VOIP adapter (192.168.176.x) doesn't conflict w/ the new router (which it won't by default (192.168.1.x)).

[primary router](lan)<-- wire -->(wan)[voip adapter]

This assumes you don’t need to administer the VOIP adapter for any reason (for most VOIP adapters, you don’t). If you do, perhaps to configure SIP, then you’ll need to connect a desktop/laptop to the LAN port of the VOIP adapter for these purposes. Another option would be to allow administrative access to the VOIP adapter from the WAN side (usually disabled, but shouldn’t be a problem since it’s not directly attached to the ISP anymore). I would suggest in that case assigning a static IP to the VOIP adapter’s WAN (either in the VOIP adapter itself, or better yet, via the DHCP server of the primary router).

Indeed, it should work out of the box. But now he's double NAT'd, and that can lead to problems w/ services that require NAT traversal, complicates port forwarding, etc. Most VOIP providers want you to place their adapter in FRONT of your own router to reduce tech support calls for the sake of that 1 in 100 customers who's experiencing performance problems (iow, for their benefit, not yours). For most ppl, it's simply not necessary. And even if it is, you're better off using the QoS controls provided by the RT-N56U instead.

With the VOIP adapter behind the primary router, it’s also now possible to make it WIRELESS by connecting a wireless ethernet bridge to its WAN. So you don’t need to be saddled with having the primary router and VOIP adapter in the same location.

NindoOne

Honorable
May 1, 2013
Thank you for your answers both. I am sure I will come up with a solution with the information you are giving me. What I will do is up to future me to decide. :)