Voltage and temps question

Rodrigodrt

Reputable
Nov 21, 2014
So, other than VCore, is there any other voltage that can lower the CPU temperature? I've been running a 4770k @ 4.3ghz under about 1.215v since forever, got average temps peaking at 65C while gaming.

Because i utterly hate odd numbers, I had to go for 4.4ghz, but could only (SORTA) stabilize with 1.248v with everything else on AUTO, and so im getting peak temps of 70-72C tops while gaming, and I want it to last quite a while still, so other than Vcore, is there anything else that can be done to lower temps within the bios? I always thought that my 4770k runs pretty hot even though im using a H110i

WildCard999

Titan
Herald
Well your under the max safe voltage (1.3) and max safe temp (<80C for extended periods of time) so your fine in the long run. As for lowering the temp I'd probably clean the system thoroughly and repaste the CPU/cooler if it's been awhile.

I had similar temps and voltage on my previous system (4770K @4.4ghz, 1.250V, H100i cooler).

Rodrigodrt

Reputable
Nov 21, 2014

hmm, 70's drive me nuts but i guess im being too conservative...

WildCard999

Titan
Herald
You could always lower it back to 4.2 if it lowers the temp significantly, 200 mhz isn't going to make a massive difference. While I was stable at 4.4 I preferred 4.2 during the fall/winter months and it went back to 3.5 stock during the summer as I was gaming less and when I did the normal turbo boost was sufficient enough for me.

Rodrigodrt

Reputable
Nov 21, 2014
With 4.2ghz the difference is quite significant as it can run with under 1.180v or so, but since I live in a hot af place, the seasons here are divided in hot, melting, burning and scorching, so I can completely ignore temp variations as im always on max temps.

but... 4.2ghz, eww gotta master race man...

i think ill just try to get some better compound, if its completely fine to be at these temps, ill see if i can drop 2C and ignore.

WildCard999

Titan
Herald
Well as is (4.4ghz) your at a 4790K essentially. I've only seen a very few that are in the 4.6-4.8+ range and they've usually been delided and are on a full loop. But if you were to compare gaming results of you at 4.4 and someone with the same exact CPU/system at 4.8+ I doubt there would even be a significant FPS difference, maybe 3-5 FPS on the most CPU demanding game.

If I were you I'd keep my system as is at 4.4ghz/1.250V (or w/e. your voltage is).

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS