Question Voltage Drop After Overclock

Denny_14

Honorable
Apr 15, 2017
so I'm still new to overclocking, I overclock the GPU Laptop and I know overclocking on a laptop is not recommended, I raise the core clock to +135 Mhz and memory clock to +250 Mhz, before I set memory clock at +260 Mhz but there was a white screen when I played the game for about 10 minutes so I lowered it to +250 Mhz and there was no white screen when playing for 1 hour, and I saw the voltage after overclocking at 987 mV when playing, and the value before overclock at 1093 mV when playing too, the highest voltage value is 1187 mV and the low (893 mV when idle), I checked the voltage through the NvidiaInspector and GPU-Z applications, the temperature is always below 70 degrees celsius when playing , The GPU is GT740M 64 Bit.

the question is :

1. is this normal thing after overclocking when the voltage drops to 987 mV?
  2. is there something I have to monitor and worry about ?
  3. is the voltage at 987 mV safe or not ?

maybe only this I want to ask for now , Thank You

salm2s

Honorable
Jul 21, 2017
so I'm still new to overclocking, I overclock the GPU Laptop and I know overclocking on a laptop is not recommended, I raise the core clock to +135 Mhz and memory clock to +250 Mhz, before I set memory clock at +260 Mhz but there was a white screen when I played the game for about 10 minutes so I lowered it to +250 Mhz and there was no white screen when playing for 1 hour, and I saw the voltage after overclocking at 987 mV when playing, and the value before overclock at 1093 mV when playing too, the highest voltage value is 1187 mV and the low (893 mV when idle), I checked the voltage through the NvidiaInspector and GPU-Z applications, the temperature is always below 70 degrees celsius when playing , The GPU is GT740M 64 Bit.

the question is :

1. is this normal thing after overclocking when the voltage drops to 987 mV?
  2. is there something I have to monitor and worry about ?
  3. is the voltage at 987 mV safe or not ?
maybe only this I want to ask for now , Thank You
This is quite normal, since your gpu is a mobile one. This probably occurs because the gpu may be throttling by lowering the voltage

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's normal. A graphics processor (gpu) and central processor (cpu) are intrinsically the same thing and work the same way. What you see with voltage dropping is vdroop. At idle, voltages are highest, that's the normal state for the processor. Under loads, vdroop is active and lowers the voltage so that any changes to the load (like start/stop spikes) have a buffer zone, and don't exceed the nominal voltage. LLC is part of that, raising or lowering amounts of vdroop according to the processors needs to remain stable, within the nominal range.