Question Voltage fluctuations crashed my pc

Yahya98

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2014
So I've been having this problem since 3 months ago. I've been trying to analyse the problem by using my little knowledge, and at this point I'm kinda frustrated that I couldn't figure out what's actually wrong with my setup.

This is gonna be a kind of long story.

First of all is my spec:
Processor: i5 4590 3.30ghz
RAM: 16GB
Video card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 Super - 4GB Memory
Motherboard: Qwerty (Chinese brand)
PSU: Enlight 400W Bronze 80
1 SSD + 1 HDD

My condition is, the place where I live have this sudden power fluctuations every one hour or so. For a fraction of a second, every light goes dim and sometimes the TV even turns off. I can't do anything about it, I kinda live in 3rd world village.

My pc is actually fine even tho everything went dim for a second, only the monitor restarts sometimes. But, that's when I use it normally. The thing that's been troubling me is when I play heavy games. The pc shuts down when that happens while I play heavy games, and it happens every 1 hour or so, so I never had the chance to even play a game for more than an hour.

I made sure that the problem doesn't have anything to do with overheating, because I checked the temp when it shutdowns and it was only around 60-70 degree. And the timing is always when the lights went dim.

So my first solution was to buy a stabilizer. I bought APC CN-1200 which is 1200v or 600w. Sadly it didn't had any effect to the situation, after testing with heavy games, the pc still shuts down every time the fluctuation happens.

Second solution was an UPS. It took me a while to save up to buy one, that's why this problem persist for over 3 months. I bought ICA 1300N, which is 1300va or 650w. And it's so disappointing that even an UPS had no effect to this situation. The ups works well, I plugged off the cable from the grid when the pc is running and it's all fine, so I don't know where it goes wrong.

I'm suspecting it's the power supply, but one of my friend pointed out that it's probably the motherboard... And at this point, I don't want to spend more into the wrong component :/

Can anyone help me identify the problem?

If it would be any help, the "shutdown" don't happen instantly, when the light goes dim, the monitor turns off (it's always happen even in normal use, but in normal use it just turns back on and everything is fine), then for a while the pc still runs but the screen is still black and then it completely shuts down.

Sometimes after shutting down like that, it won't turn back on right away, I had to replug the RAM, Hdd, or even the gpu at one point so that it can turn on again.

Please give me your feedback.

Yahya98

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2014
Hey there,

When you say the system shuts down, does it also restart automatically?

My first guess would be your PSU. Yours is possibly at least 5 years old? In addition, it's a poor PSU.
Nope, it's actually even hard to start it again because it doesn't respond at all. I had to replug the RAM, HDD, or even the Graphic card at one point, to make it start. Or sometimes the light just turn for a sec and didn't make it into bios, but I simply fixed it by replugging the ram most of the time. I don't even know why that works.

And yes, I bought it in 2019, so it's been a while I guess. I also suspected the PSU a lot, but I just want to make sure that my analysis is correct this time as I have wasted budgets for stabilizer and ups :/

Yahya98

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2014
A quick remedy, would be to bring to a local repair store and get them to swap out the PSU and test with another one. It might cost €£$20 or so.

Your current PSU is not good at all, and it could be that it's not delivering it's rated power.
I actually bought the PSU for around €£$20 lol

But while we're in this topic, would it help to get PSU with OP/SCP/OVP or any undervoltage promise? would it have effect to my situation? I thought it might make the situation worse because it cuts the power when the power fluctuates, but It's just my logical thinking, I don't actually know how it works.

I actually bought the PSU for around €£$20 lol

But while we're in this topic, would it help to get PSU with OP/SCP/OVP or any undervoltage promise? would it have effect to my situation? I thought it might make the situation worse because it cuts the power when the power fluctuates, but It's just my logical thinking, I don't actually know how it works.

LOL! :D

Yes, all modern PSU's Have over protections. OCP/OVP-UVP/OPP etc.

It could very well solve your issue.

A decent gold unit, like this would be fine:
PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GA 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ EVGA)
Total: $59.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-08-15 11:34 EDT-0400

Reactions: Yahya98

Yahya98

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2014
LOL! :D

Yes, all modern PSU's Have over protections. OCP/OVP-UVP/OPP etc.

It could very well solve your issue.

A decent gold unit, like this would be fine:
PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GA 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ EVGA)
Total: $59.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-08-15 11:34 EDT-0400
Thank you, that's just what I needed, and it's coincidentally within my budget. I hope this will resolve the issue.

Many thanks!

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead