Voltage for i7 8700K 4.7 GHz OC (All cores)

okyys

Honorable
Feb 23, 2018
Hello guys.
I have almost finished my build except for video card at the moment as their prices are in the sky at least in my country.

This includes:
Intel i7 8700K CPU with Noctua NH-D15S cooler,
G.Skill 2x8GB 3200Mhz CL14 RAM,
ASUS Maximus X Hero Motherboard,
Seasonic Prime Platinum 750W PSU
and old ASUS DC2 OC GTX 780 Video card

I never bothered with overclocking, but in this case, I wanted to run all cores at 4.7 Ghz so I set that in BIOS.
Everything else in Bios is left on Auto, SVID behavior set to best case scenario, XMP is enabled.
As I am not the richest person, I plan on staying with this build for many years. My PC will be running 24/7. I'm usually playing games, watching videos, reading online.

My question is about the voltage.
From what I understand, if I set it to manual, it will always be manual, no matter the load on CPU and the multiplier it has dropped to.
I still don't understand how the adaptive voltage works. In the past I tried experimenting with my old i5 4670K and I remember adaptive voltage doing not what I expected and still going higher than it was set.

So, my ideal scenario is:
The voltage never goes higher than 1.25v or 1.26v, but decreases together with multiplier, when CPU is on low load.
Is this possible and necessary?
Will it decrease idle temperatures, noise and power consumption?
Will it increase the life of my CPU?
Or I can just leave it to 1.25v manual, if it's stable, because any improvement will be very minimal?

From reading around, I found that someone is running the same overclock on 1.25v, but when voltage is set to Auto, it goes up to 1.27v (1.264 - 1.268v on average).
I am very afraid to experiment with voltages, so, asking for advice.
I also ran an AIDA64 Stress test for 20 minutes with Stress FPU enabled and max temperature spikes reached 79°C in a quite hot room (24°C). Average was around 60-70°C.
The screens:
ulp1s7u.png

IuDVhGp.jpg

Sorry for my bad english and thanks in advance! :)

Solution
The 8700k boost clock is 4700ghz. Really to take it a 4700ghz all you need to do is raise the multiplier to 47. Just set it and forget it. Leave everything else on auto. It will run fine you will not have to worry about heat as long as you have a decent cooler. Aida 64 is going to raise the heat anyway. High 70s is not bad for Aida64 and you will not reach those temps when doing anything else including gaming. Of course the vcore is going to fluctuate, sometimes a bit higher, and of course lower when the cpu is not under load and going at a lower speed.

I am sure you will have no problems, doing it like this. As far as longevity it will last a long long time.

rodolphe.viard

Reputable
Feb 27, 2018
Hi Okyys,
I'll responde in order.

1°/ "As I am not the richest person, I plan on staying with this build for many years"

Be aware that overclocking can, if not done correctly, hurt your hardware. Watching temps and voltages is your main prioprity.

2°/ "From what I understand, if I set it to manual, it will always be manual, no matter the load on CPU and the multiplier it has dropped to. I still don't understand how the adaptive voltage works"

In the Bios you have energy saving features like "Adaptive voltage", "C states"...
Those let your CPU enter in différents activity states, Idle is one of them like deep sleep in another.

You can set a voltage manually with adaptative mode which let your Vcore fluctuate with the load.

But first, to establish the overclock stability, i advise you to desactivate every power saving features.
After that you'll be able to play with those features.

urbancamper

Distinguished
The 8700k boost clock is 4700ghz. Really to take it a 4700ghz all you need to do is raise the multiplier to 47. Just set it and forget it. Leave everything else on auto. It will run fine you will not have to worry about heat as long as you have a decent cooler. Aida 64 is going to raise the heat anyway. High 70s is not bad for Aida64 and you will not reach those temps when doing anything else including gaming. Of course the vcore is going to fluctuate, sometimes a bit higher, and of course lower when the cpu is not under load and going at a lower speed.

I am sure you will have no problems, doing it like this. As far as longevity it will last a long long time.

Solution

Evvvvv

Reputable
Feb 6, 2017

So, urbancamper, if I just raise the multiplier to 47, Voltages will stay adaptive? Will my Clock speed constantly be for all cores at 4.7GHz or will it lower down?

rodolphe.viard

Reputable
Feb 27, 2018
Evvvvv,

Just keep in mind that with auto voltage, the board ALWAYS overvolt. So doing this, keep an eye on your actual voltage.

I don't know which board you use but there are features to let the frequency and voltage fluctuate with the load as C States, EIST ...

Rodolphe

Evvvvv

Reputable
Feb 6, 2017

I started a thread of my own, and saw this one. This is what I also want to achieve. I can set voltage to manual, or that adaptive, just need some help :)

urbancamper

Distinguished

That is an arbitrary statement. It does not always overvolt. It raises and lowers the voltage as needed. If the op is going higher then 4.7ghz then yes, find a stable spot for the vcore, and the llc. since he desires to go no higher then what the turbo speed for this cpu is leaving everything else on auto is just fine.

Simply raising the multiplier and leaving everything else on auto, is not the same as using auto overclock. Auto overclock will overvolt your cpu. Simply raising the multiplier will not.

Sep 3, 2018
8700K 4.7Ghz at 1.25v
On air cpu cooler -
Cooler Master Hyper 212X (stable 4.7ghz oc @ 1.25v or 1.3v)
which one would u recommend.

Also what is the best and safest way to oc ?
Use: *Enable Multi core Enhancement or *Turbo boost

-Enable Multi-core Enhancement in bios and you get an auto 4.7 overclock. Just enable MCE, then manually change the voltage to 1.25V for a hassle-free OC.

or

Turbo boost: It will run one or more cores at a higher frequency automatically, depending on temperature and load. You don't have to do anything.
turbo clock is 4.7. As far as I know, this means that it can be temporarily boosted.