[SOLVED] Voltage, heat, frequency of CPUs?

true1hart

Commendable
Nov 26, 2020
Goal is 4470MHz all cores 3950x. Was 4.4GHz all core for a long time and didn't crash under any benchmarks, games, or video editing.

I want to know what degrades (kills) the CPU? Temperature, voltage, or heat?

When I ran 4.4GHz all cores, my idle temp was 35c, 55 to 70c gaming, and 86c using Prime95 or Cinebench.

If I can achieve the same results with the 4470MHz overclock, is my CPU safe?

My motherboard is a X570 MSI Meg ACE and I have a 1600 watt power supply (Corsair AX1600i). I also have a EVGA FTW 3 Ultra RTX 3090 overclocked (temperatures never go past 70c while gaming).

Thanks for your help!

Solution
Goal is 4470MHz all cores 3950x. Was 4.4GHz all core for a long time and didn't crash under any benchmarks, games, or video editing.

When I ran 4.4GHz all cores, my idle temp was 35c, 55 to 70c gaming, and 86c using Prime95 or Cinebench.

My motherboard is a X570 MSI Meg ACE and I have a 1600 watt power supply (Corsair AX1600i). I also have a EVGA FTW 3 Ultra RTX 3090 overclocked (temperatures never go past 70c while gaming).

Thanks for your help!
It depends heavily on both. 86c should be fine but no higher than that to be safe. What's your voltage at? If you...

Thanks for your help!
It depends heavily on both. 86c should be fine but no higher than that to be safe. What's your voltage at? If you can get higher speeds with stability without going over 86c then do it. I'd recommend maybe lowering the clock speed by 25 MHz and seeing how much less voltage you can give, as sometimes a little jump takes a lot more voltage. And that 25MHz would be negligible. But it's all up to you.

Solution

true1hart

Commendable
Nov 26, 2020
It depends heavily on both. 86c should be fine but no higher than that to be safe. What's your voltage at? If you can get higher speeds with stability without going over 86c then do it. I'd recommend maybe lowering the clock speed by 25 MHz and seeing how much less voltage you can give, as sometimes a little jump takes a lot more voltage. And that 25MHz would be negligible. But it's all up to you.

Ok, cool!

Reactions: PrinceTexasLoaf