imgooch

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
I'm having an issue and hoping someone can help me figure out the source of the problem.

Recently I found that when gaming, my computer would shut down instantly. No crash/blue screen, not restart, no error....nothing, as if i just pulled the plug. Windows doesn't even realize it wasn't shut down properly on restart. I'm not sure when it started for sure. I hadn't played any games in a few months, then I updated my video drivers, and it began to happen. I have noticed no other issues whatsoever. The games function fine as well as everything else.

My first thought was the video drivers of course so I used a driver cleaner and reinstalled the one I had used previously. No change.

I then installed SpeedFan to check on temps. Here is a screenshot of it:

ScreenShot-Speedfan.png

This is actually a test from AFTER I installed a new PSU. It appears to be just about the same as the test I ran with my older PSU. This test is why I bought a new one to begin with...which appears to have been a waste. The problem still persists (shut off after gaming for a couple minutes) even with the new PSU.

So as you can see, the voltages seem to be way off. Is this possible? Could there be an error in the testing? What other issue might I have if it's not the PSU? What other tests could I run? Should I return the new PSU now?

On another note, what are the Temp 1, 2, and 3 in SpeedFan? I'm not sure what they are referencing and don't know how a temp 3 of 125C is even possible. Especially since this is just after being shut down for a while.

thanks for any input!

Oh and my specs:

Win7
Radeon HD 5770
Phenom II X4 925
can't recall anything else.

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
Are you using a amd on a asus board since my temp 3 read -128 on speedfan,in the configure part set the temp as low as 35 and check all the log box you could also check the box for the pwm under each settings then for fan settings check log box to all after i check all box for all voltage and fan speed leaving them at 100 max value do not check the automaticaly variated

You might want to be a little more clear. It isn't even clear to me what you want him to actually do.

InvalidError

Titan
If your PSU voltages were that far off, your computer definitely wouldn't boot. My guess is that the motherboard's system monitoring chip is not wired/programmed to enumerate SMBus parameters quite in the order system monitoring programs are expecting them and software ends up reporting bogus values.

imgooch

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
I was thinking the same thing but I'm not sure where else to look for my shutdown issue.

One thing I forgot to mention is that, sometimes, when I restart, it seems to shut down....as in I have no feed from the video out, and I believe it is shut down...but yet all of the fans are still running. I then have to do a hard reset or shutdown in order to actually restart the thing.

The only thing that seems to make any sense is that my mobo is screwed...but I want to be sure before I make another purchase. (and be sure that returning the new PSU is the right call....hmm...Can i even return to NewEgg for such a reason?)

imgooch

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
I tried another game and same thing happened. It was Diablo3 and I was only in the AH...not even playing really...and it shut down. After that it shut down twice more when I barely got windows booted.

I checked the SpeedFan logs and all the numbers are ok...or at least the same as they were up to the point of the shut down. Nothing notable at the time of the crash.

I'm going to experiment with shutting down some extraneous processes and see if that changes anything.

Any suspicions yet?

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
it seen in the cpuid monitor that your cpu fan is not report under fan pwm fannim0 and the 2 other report a 50 also your core clock show 800 but the real value should be 2800.1 mhz also all the core clock should report the same value as max and your voltages look strange check all your bios and cooling settings but there could be something with your motherboard ( i use the same case you should not have any issue with her for the cooling)

imgooch

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
Your mention of the core clock gave me an idea. I looked in the bios and sure enough, AMD Cool n Quiet was turned on....no idea why I left that on as it always gave me fits...but after turning it off I played a game for awhile and ever since I haven't had a shut down. Only time will tell but so far so good. The voltages still display strangely but if it runs ok...

Now i just need to decide if I should return this psu...

thanks

imgooch

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
no, no overclocking. I've dabbled in the past but don't feel the need these days.

Turns out it may have been a false alarm....got home today and the pc was off. Not sure when it shut down but it did so on it's own and obviously nothing was really running while I wasn't here. Seems pretty haphazard...

Any other thoughts on things to try before I replace the mobo?

Oh and I really can't remember when I installed windows...maybe about 2 years ago? Honestly things run quite well...I haven't felt like I needed to reformat.