Question Voltage Issues With 9700k & Aorus Pro Moba?

DJLegacy2k5

Prominent
Dec 15, 2019
Hello,

So I built my first PC 2 months ago with aan Intel i7-9700k, Gigabyte Aorus Pro z390 Moba , Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super Windforce OC, 32gb of 3200 Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB Ram, Corsair rm850x PSU, Corsair h100i Platinum AIO plus 6 ADDITIONAL QL120 Fans, Samsung 970 Plus nvme m.2 1TB sss & 2 other SATA ssd's, Samsung 49" chg9 144hrz 1ms 1080p Monitor and a few other not important goodies.

I didn't mess with Overclocking the CPU because I notice that the MOBA was constantly running the CPU at 4.8ghz at all times so I figured this was safe enough since it's how the most recent BIOS Update has this thing set to run. I even checked it in the Intel Xtreme Management tool.

Now my question is, I noticed that it uses Adaptive Voltage and an AVX Offset of -2 or -3 (can't remember) but Ive been noticing lately that when I pull up CORE TEMP (which is by far the most accurate reading program as the others were giving me CRAZY readings all over the place) that my PC is staying nice and cool in the low 30s when doing basic stuff and when gaming in COD, APEX, Hitman 2 or Using my new Rift-S with all Ultra settings the temps are always in the 40s, Ive maybe seen a 50 reading once. The issue is I saw that the ADAPTIVE Voltage at 4.8ghz is bouncing between 1.3 and 1.4v, typically 1.32 to 1.35 with short spikes sometimes to 1.4-1.42. My PC seems to run at 100% even with the Windows Power Setting set to 5% min and 100% max.

Are these bouncing Voltages still within safe range? I saww people saying these MOBAs always over Volt things but seeing as Ive never manually OC'ed anything before and have only studied the process I dont want to go messing with things I dont fully grasp with 100% certainty. My PC doesnt seem to have any issues that I can tell other than the occasional CRASH every so often after a Call of Duty update but that seems normal for just about everyone with that crap optimized game.

Any insight, advice or suggestions would be great! Thanks...

TLDR: i7-9700k and Gigabyte z390 Pro moba has adaptive volts of 1.3 to 1.4 at all times running 4.8ghz from stock settings. Is this bad or should I fix this even with low temps. If so...How since Ive never OCed a PC myself.

DJLegacy2k5

Prominent
Dec 15, 2019
A permanent OC in the BIOS or the maximum performance power plan in windows will do that. Look at both.

Yes that what Im saying, Gigabyte apparently OCs the i7-9700k by itself with the BIOS for everyone. With its current setup it run 4.8ghz all the time and has Adaptive Voltage which seems to bounce from 1.3 to 1.4 & 1.44 (at spikes). Temps never seem to go about the 50s even while gaming or in VR. I was just wondering since everyone says these types of BIOS OCs are over voltaged if these V readings are TOO high or anything I should be worried about since Im not 100% confident on going back in and changing all of the OC settings myself since Ive never done it.

Also I changed the Ultimate Performance Minimum to 5% instead of 100% but due to the Bios OC it doesnt matter.

That core voltage seems much higher than required for relatively modest 'stock-like' clock speeds...

I'd run it at default multiplier settings, select Balanced mode (which allows downclocking to 800 MHz in low-load conditions), and via Intel's XTU allow normal 4.9 GHz with 1-2 cores active, 4.8 GHz with 3-4 cores, etc., down to 4.6 GHz with 7 or 8 cores active, which is relatively stock behavior...(This should be no means need above 1.265 V core voltage based on other 9700K samples I've seen, so, if you've dialed in more voltage for BIOS-driven OC's, I'd drop them...)

There's no reason for constant 4.8 GHz all-core turbos 24/7 while reading forums , surfing Youtube, etc., when normal Balanced mode works so perfectly...

DJLegacy2k5

Prominent
Dec 15, 2019
That core voltage seems much higher than required for relatively modest 'stock-like' clock speeds...

I'd run it at default multiplier settings, select Balanced mode (which allows downclocking to 800 MHz in low-load conditions), and via Intel's XTU allow normal 4.9 GHz with 1-2 cores active, 4.8 GHz with 3-4 cores, etc., down to 4.6 GHz with 7 or 8 cores active, which is relatively stock behavior...(This should be no means need above 1.265 V core voltage based on other 9700K samples I've seen, so, if you've dialed in more voltage for BIOS-driven OC's, I'd drop them...)

There's no reason for constant 4.8 GHz all-core turbos 24/7 while reading forums , surfing Youtube, etc., when normal Balanced mode works so perfectly...

Thats all well and good but the BIOS is setup with all AUTO settings which has it running like this so I have NO IDEA what all needs to be changed and what doesnt etc. Ive read that all Gigaabyte z390 boards have this exact same ALWAYS ON 4.8 boost. There arent any simple other "profiles" that I see...These settings are actually listed as the "default" settings.

In Intel XTU it shows everything set at 48 and Adaptive...Everything is in the BIOS just shows "Default" or "Auto" so there arent any basic numbers to reset back to.