Status
Not open for further replies.

slicedtoad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
So I'm being cheap here and wondering if I can save a buck.
I have a water pump that needs 16V to work at full speed but PSUs are not designed with 16V outputs.

It's a Corsair hx 750W psu and I don't mind modifying the cables but I'd prefer not to open the case (7 year warranty). I have a nice electronics store nearby (resistors and capacitors and such) and have decent soldering experience.

Apparently I've forgotten my basic electricity course I took some years ago and have no idea if this kind of mod makes sense. Any electricians here that could enlighten me and perhaps point me in a direction?

Solution
Since you require a step up of the voltage there is no way of getting the higher voltage without using a DC to DC power supply.

The Koolance CTR-SPD24 10-24 Volt Speed Controller does the DC to DC conversion along with the inclusion of variable voltage output whereas you just want a fixed output. You will have to use the same type of DC to DC conversion circuit and it involves more than resistors and capacitors.

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
how many watts does the pump need to work?.

and what is the amp's output for the pci-e cable

id recomend not opening up psu

if it can be done best doing it through a cable (personally though, i would buy another psu for it)

slicedtoad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
I'm using the pump to cool my computer so another psu would not be feasible.

The correct way would be to buy this: http://martinsliquidlab.org/2011/02/28/koolance-ctr-spd24-10-24-volt-speed-controller/

It costs $50 though, and i don't need variance.

The pump is a d5-strong. no idea how many watts it need but here's an article on it:
http://martinsliquidlab.org/2011/03/05/koolance-pmp-450s-d5-strong-pump/

Since you require a step up of the voltage there is no way of getting the higher voltage without using a DC to DC power supply.

The Koolance CTR-SPD24 10-24 Volt Speed Controller does the DC to DC conversion along with the inclusion of variable voltage output whereas you just want a fixed output. You will have to use the same type of DC to DC conversion circuit and it involves more than resistors and capacitors.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.