[SOLVED] Voltage question

Aug 4, 2020
Hey all; I just started a build for a neighbor today; after I got everything plugged in, I fired it up. The CPU fan ran intermittently, the front case fans not at all, and the rear case fan ran fine. I pulled the power supply to test it, and ran in to something I haven’t before.
The PsU is a power spec 650w Bronze.

my yellow 12v are reading 14.86
My orange 3.3 are reading 4.13
My red 5v is reading 6.54
My blue -12v is reading -14.16
My purple 5v is reading 6.25

I have never run into this....... I’ve only ever testing PsU’s and found them nominal or dead..... not putting out extra voltage; I also have no idea whether this is bad; my gut says it’s bad.... but maybe I’m wrong.
Ideas?
Thanks in advance!

banjo

Solution
Make sure your meter is calibrated and that there is load on the power supply - some PSUs will not function properly without load.

If those two are ticked then definitely replace your powersupply. Take it in for a refund if you purchased it recently.
The ATX specifcations states voltages must be within =-5% of the nominal. Those readings are far out.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
It happens sometimes if the PSU is defective. I assume you're reading this with equipment and not something like software?

The more recent Power Specs are better. This one is pretty bad, an old group-regulated Sirfa, but there's likely also an internal issue causing these problems.

Aug 4, 2020
Yes; I tested it with a Multimeter. Thanks for the quick response. I took a gamble on it since my neighbor is on a tight budget, this isn’t the first powerless Ive had that has been defective unfortunately! Thank you again!

Aug 3, 2020
Make sure your meter is calibrated and that there is load on the power supply - some PSUs will not function properly without load.

If those two are ticked then definitely replace your powersupply. Take it in for a refund if you purchased it recently.
The ATX specifcations states voltages must be within =-5% of the nominal. Those readings are far out.

Solution
Aug 4, 2020

You nailed it; I checked my multimeter and it was not correct. Borrowed a neighbors, and the psu was in the right ranges.......

Thank you; what a bonehead move on my part; got so tunnel visioned I didn’t even think about that!