Voltage regulator module for Vectra XM5 series 4

Hello,

I can upgrade my router's hardware with a faster CPU (a non-MMX Pentium
with 166 MHz) more suitable for encrypted networking. This specific CPU is
mentioned in the tech manual for the Vectra XM5 series 4 system board and
certified (P54C).

However, I need a VRM as there is none installed currently. The HP part
number would be 5063-7940. I have a VRM for a Pentium II (Kayak XU6/333)
floating around.

Will that VRM work as well? Do VRMs for Pentium II and Pentium P54C differ
significantly?

Thanks.

"Lord, please make me the kind of person my dog thinks I am."

VRM's for Socket 7 versus Pentium Pro, Pentium II or Pentium III are quite
different. You CAN use a non-HP VRM, provided its installation has enough
clearance with the power supply above it on most HP Socket 7 Vectras.

If you can't find a suitable VRM, consider upgrading to a 200MHz Classic Pentium
or a 200MHz Pentium OverDrive. The latter has MMX instructions, but operates at
the same voltage as a classic Pentium.

I doubt that router software would ever do much to use MMX instructions, but the
additional speed would be nice.

I've had a lot of trouble upgrading CPUs in Socket 7 Vectras in the past,
because the power supply leaves little vertical clearance for the VRM.

.... Ben Myers

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 17:35:24 +0200, Christian =?ISO-8859-1?Q?D=FCrrhauer?=
<cduerr@geog.fu-berlin.de> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I can upgrade my router's hardware with a faster CPU (a non-MMX Pentium
>with 166 MHz) more suitable for encrypted networking. This specific CPU is
>mentioned in the tech manual for the Vectra XM5 series 4 system board and
>certified (P54C).
>
>However, I need a VRM as there is none installed currently. The HP part
>number would be 5063-7940. I have a VRM for a Pentium II (Kayak XU6/333)
>floating around.
>
>Will that VRM work as well? Do VRMs for Pentium II and Pentium P54C differ
>significantly?
>
>Thanks.
>
>--
>mit freundlichen Grüßen/with kind regards
>Christian Dürrhauer, Institute of Geography, FU Berlin
>
>"Lord, please make me the kind of person my dog thinks I am."

On the seventh day, ben_myers_spam_me_not wrote...

> VRM's for Socket 7 versus Pentium Pro, Pentium II or Pentium III are quite
> different. You CAN use a non-HP VRM, provided its installation has enough
> clearance with the power supply above it on most HP Socket 7 Vectras.

Thank you, Ben. So that means that I can use a non-HP VRM, but I can't use
one for a Pentium II, III or Pro?

"Lord, please make me the kind of person my dog thinks I am."

Correct. A PPro, P2 or P3 VRM will not fit into the VRM socket of the Vectra
XM5 Series 4. But all VRMs of a certain type meet the Intel specification, so a
non-HP VRM will work properly... Ben Myers

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 09:33:28 +0100, Christian =?ISO-8859-1?Q?D=FCrrhauer?=