[SOLVED] Voltage setting for AMD Ryzen 7 3700X processor Manual Overclocking.

Anirudh22

Prominent
Aug 13, 2019
Hello,

I want to know what voltage should be set for manual overclocking for my AMD Ryzen 7 3700X processor using AMD Ryzen Master software.
I am running my processor at a frequency of 3,700 MHz manually with voltage set to 1.2V using AMD Ryzen Master. (Motherboard used: MSI B450 Gaming Plus)
I use this setting whenever I am using my PC for Browsing on Internet or any other normal use.
Whenever I use my PC for 3D modeling, rendering or graphic designing, I use auto overclockin.

I want to know if 1.2V is sufficient/safe to run processor at 3,700MHz.
Is there any chart of Voltage - Processor frequency available for AMD Ryzen 7 3700X?
or How to calculate voltage requirement for a required frequency?

Is there any risk of damaging processor while running at lower voltage?

Solution
Hey there,

Whilst 1.2v is pretty low, as long as you're not crashing then that's a good start.

The easiest way to find out is to run a stress test like Prime95 (small fft's) and see if it runs without errors. If it runs without errors for 1hr+ and no workers are stopped, then broadly speaking you know that voltage works at that clockspeed.

The key is testing as you go.

There is zero risk with undervolting, apart from random crashes that may mess with your OS.

To be honest though, I'm not sure why you would want to limit the CPU to that level, which is just 100mhz above base clocks.

If you are intent on OC'ing the CPU for more performance, guides like this are very useful:
CPU overclocking guide and tutorial for beginners |...
Hey there,

Whilst 1.2v is pretty low, as long as you're not crashing then that's a good start.

The easiest way to find out is to run a stress test like Prime95 (small fft's) and see if it runs without errors. If it runs without errors for 1hr+ and no workers are stopped, then broadly speaking you know that voltage works at that clockspeed.

The key is testing as you go.

There is zero risk with undervolting, apart from random crashes that may mess with your OS.

To be honest though, I'm not sure why you would want to limit the CPU to that level, which is just 100mhz above base clocks.

If you are intent on OC'ing the CPU for more performance, guides like this are very useful:
CPU overclocking guide and tutorial for beginners | Tom's Hardware Forum

Worth a read.

Solution
Is there any chart of Voltage - Processor frequency available for AMD Ryzen 7 3700X?
As far as I know, there really isn't one because it depends on the quality of the chip. So you can't have something like "1.2V = 3.7GHz" because that doesn't apply to every chip. You just have to either set a voltage and increase the frequency until it's no longer stable or set a frequency and decrease the voltage.

I will say though that 1.2V is more than sufficient. The last time I dabbled with this, at least on a 2700X, I got to a hair above 1.0V at 3.7GHz, with 1.26V at 4.0GHz. It's probably better with the 3700X but I haven't bothered doing this on mine.

No, there's no risk of damaging the processor.

Reactions: CountMike

Fiorezy

Notable
Jul 3, 2020
Use CTR, it will do everything for you. But you must know that every chip is different so the only way to find a stable voltage is by testing it, usually this process takes a long time, but with CTR, it is very easy and effective.

Hello,

I want to know what voltage should be set for manual overclocking for my AMD Ryzen 7 3700X processor using AMD Ryzen Master software.
I am running my processor at a frequency of 3,700 MHz manually with voltage set to 1.2V using AMD Ryzen Master. (Motherboard used: MSI B450 Gaming Plus)
I use this setting whenever I am using my PC for Browsing on Internet or any other normal use.
Whenever I use my PC for 3D modeling, rendering or graphic designing, I use auto overclockin.

There's no voltage value set in stone (for this or any other CPU), much depends on "silicone lottery" and BIOS so only you can find minimum voltage based on frequency. Just lower it a bit by bit and check for stability and temperature.

Hello,

1.2V is the safe starting point recommended by the overclocking community. Most processors can also run with somewhat higher voltage but you should determine what's called it's FIT voltage for your processor. That's the voltage the boost algorithm will settle on at maximum possible processing load and operating temperature; it's different for each processor/motherboard/cooling/case combo.

There's a somewhat involved, but not too difficult, process for doing that. CTR is a tool that helps with it, but I've not had much luck using it on my 3700x.

BTW, a fixed 1.2V for light web browsing is probably doing more harm to your processor (compared to setting it up stock) as it's a much higher voltage than the boost algorithm will pick on average. Understand that electron migration degradation is constant and cumulative all the time a device is powered. Keeping it at 1.2V is constantly degrading it while letting it drop to .6V or less and turning off cores for 80-90% of the time (which it will as it drops into C6 deep sleep when left in STOCK configuration) degrades it much slower. But then, it's really irrelevant as even running stock and overclocked with PBO it will far outlast it's usefulness as a processing device.

Last edited: