voltage settings help

redzoneos

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
hi guys, ok I just overclocked my E2160 to 3.0Ghz and left voltage settings to AUTO so I can see how high my motherboard sets the voltages. They seem really high, according to speedfan 4.34, and I don't know how to lower them manually... can someone help?

SPEEDFAN voltages:
Vcore1: 1.55
Vcore2: 2.13
+3.3V: 3.36
+5V: 4.92
+12V: 6.34
-12V: -16.97
-5V: -8.37
+5V: 5.19
Vbat: 3.10

I don't know how the above voltages should be changed according to my BIOS. so here's the BIOS settings in my GA-EX38-DS4

BIOS settings:
DDR2 overvoltage
PCIE overvoltage
FSB overvoltage
G MCH overvoltage
CPU GTL REF1 voltage ratio
CPU GTL REF2 voltage ratio
load line calibration
CPU Voltage control
normal cpu Vcore: 1.32500V

Thanks!

redzoneos

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
ok I went through and after like 20 reboots I managed to figure a few things out.

I switched voltages to MANUAL and changed all voltage settings to "NORMAL" except the CPU VCore... I changed that to 1.375V

I am running at 333FSB so my cpu is 3.0 Ghz, 2.00B is my setting for the RAM which matches the 800Mhz requirement.

Are these good results? Do you think I can overclock further? I haven't stress tested yet, but I think it should be ok at this speed.

Please respond! :)

ektyper

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2008
it seems fine until you stress test.

only then you find out if its really a good oc.

get prime95 and run small ffts.

if it fails...up your vcore.

once you pass at least 14hours of small ffts w/out any errors....then you're good to go and enjoy.

don't forget to set round-off something on prime95 in order to display errors.

the only way you know if you can oc further....is if your temps will allow it.

are you using a stock hsf?

just remember to keep your temps under 70c load.

redzoneos

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
thx for the response ek.

ok so on my manual voltages (everything normal, vcore 1.375) I ran small FFT for about 6 hours... max temps I hit were around 50C and that's using speedfan 4.34 which I've read is a bit inaccurate, so I'm not sure if I should estimate the temps higher or lower...

I'm using an aftermarket xigmatek cooler(HDT-S1283).

since my temps are at about 50C, I'm assuming I can go further, but when I up my cpu speed to 3.2Ghz, I get blue screens... how should I adjust my voltage? keep increasing the Vcore, or do you think DDR2, and other voltages should be changed at also? In what order??

Thanks, and sorry for the many questions, I've never done this before! (at least not successfully... lol)

ektyper

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2008
I prefer to use coretemp and hwmonitor to monitor my temps/voltages. They're more accurate.

You can do this 2 ways:

1) set your vcore to 1.45v and oc. Once you reach the desired clock and it boots up...then return and start dropping your vcore until you bsod...then up it back 1 or 2 notches. Run prime95 stable for 16hrs at least, if no errors...you're good to go.

2) set your fsb to your desired clock...and up your vcore 1-2 notches until it doesn't bsod. Then run prime95 for 16hrs & if no errors..you're good to go.

I prefer #1. It seems easier for me. DDR2 voltages....keep in mind that u might want to add a little more juice since you're ocing. My rams rated voltage is 1.9...I set it to 2.1 since its oc'ed.

There's some really good oc'ing guides on this forum...

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/240001-29-howto-overclock-quads-duals-guide

....if you haven't already read them...you should...cause theres alot of good info in there.

Just remember to pay attn to your temps when stress testing....example:

My q6600 runs 68C under prime95, but in daily activities (gaming, etc) they never reach that.
Here's the temp guide:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/221745-29-core-quad-temperature-guide

redzoneos

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
ok thanks I'll try out those temp utilities you said you use. I've been dealing with moving into a new apt, and getting all my internet etc setup at the new place so I haven't had time... Will update soon once I get everything situated and try OCing one more time!