Voltage vs. Temperature for longevity AMD Ryzen 5 1600x

dweenjatheninja

Prominent
Jul 28, 2017
Hey all, been using the Ryzen Master software to control my CPU settings but it doesn't allow me to cap my VCore at a limit that I am comfortable with. Just wanna check the below questions:-
1) whats more important for CPU longevity, Temperature or purely voltage, ceteris paribus. I understand that conventionally a higher voltage leads to higher temperatures but what if you are able to maintain a low temperature on a high voltage?
2) My CPU is spiking from when only the Ryzen Master is on from 0.8 up to 1.5, I understand that when load changes the VCore and temp changes accordingly but is it normal to constantly spike and is it detrimental or is it only detrimental when running at a high fixed voltage?
3) How do i set the voltage limit, be it on Ryzen Master or the BIOS?
4) Idle temperatures after factoring 20C offset are between 35-50C. Should I be worried?
5) Is there a way to set my CPU such taht it is more stable and not spiking in terms of temp and VCore as much or is that normal? Is that turbo? Should I disable turbo? Seriously guys, wat do?

Sorry for all the newbie questions but this is my first PC, its 5 in the morning and its hard to rest thinking that I'm passively damaging my CPU. Really want this PC to last as I've save a lot for it. ): Even got the 1600X cause I thought that meant I wouldn't encounter any situation that required me to know how to overclock. But push has come to shove-ish and I guess I need to know some basics now.

Other info:-
MOBO: Strix B350f
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600x
RAM: Vengeance LED 2 x8GB 2666MHz running at 2133 Mhz (updated BIOS but post fail when changed to DOCP and native frequency and timing) #whatislife

While I can't advise on Ryzen settings as I don't have a Ryzen (yet), I can tell you that both high temp and high voltage independently cause degradation over time. The difference is that high voltage just does it faster. A high temp with normal voltage is better on your CPU than high voltage at normal temp.

Also, if you are running on the stock CPU cooler that came with your 1600x, you REALLY need to get an aftermarket cooler. Better cooling means you can get better overclocking with less voltage.

dweenjatheninja

Prominent
Jul 28, 2017

My 1600x doesn't come with a stock cooler so i'm using the H7, but thanks for your explanation on the voltage vs temperature. Any idea how I can change the voltage or cap it at something healthier than 1.55v?