Question Voltages ? im i reading this right

DREDKNOT_2077

Honorable
Nov 5, 2017
im i reading this right after adjusting one of the pstates in the advanced setting on my
aorus b450m mobo with my 2600x

under the volt setting with the (uv) mark i set the 3rd pstate setting option to 18 which in that window read 140000

i gave it a shot an now at main screen on my pop os build the cpu-x app now reads 1.4volts

also with these settings

Dynamic Vcore(DVID) +0
Dynamic VCORE SOC(DVID) normal
DRAM Voltage (CH A/B) 1.330V

as before when i left the pstates alone an just toggled the dynamic vcore to .215

an left the svid at normal at would read weirdly 1.135 which never sounded right

can i take the current read of the cpu-x app as correct

View: https://imgur.com/gallery/hCnYmfM

an also i still cant figure out what the 1.44volt in the corner refers to i assume one of the 1.35 refers to the ram

im i reading this right after adjusting one of the pstates in the advanced setting on my
aorus b450m mobo with my 2600x

under the volt setting with the (uv) mark i set the 3rd pstate setting option to 18 which in that window read 140000

i gave it a shot an now at main screen on my pop os build the cpu-x app now reads 1.4volts

also with these settings

Dynamic Vcore(DVID) +0
Dynamic VCORE SOC(DVID) normal
DRAM Voltage (CH A/B) 1.330V

as before when i left the pstates alone an just toggled the dynamic vcore to .215

an left the svid at normal at would read weirdly 1.135 which never sounded right

can i take the current read of the cpu-x app as correct

View: https://imgur.com/gallery/hCnYmfM

an also i still cant figure out what the 1.44volt in the corner refers to i assume one of the 1.35 refers to the ram
It looks like you are p-state overclocking... good luck with that. I tried with my 1700 and gave up because I just couldn't get the state settings right.

BTW, the bios p-state settings I've ever seen use HEX, not decimal. That's probably a major reason why I couldn't get settings right. P-State was a brief fad with early BIOS's with Zen 1 on 300 series boards but it's largely gone by the wayside since later BIOS's provide more control. Especially starting with Zen+ (2000 series CPU's) where PBO started working rather well for them.

And lastly: I'm not sure just what CPU-X is...it looks like CPU-Z? maybe a knock-off? If like CPU-Z, the voltage readout is hopelessly useless for Ryzen since it's strobe delays are almost measured in minutes. That leads to every reading in it being woefully lagged to actual processor status since Ryzen is extremely dynamic with voltage control, even 2nd Gen. It trying to P-State overclock do yourself a favor and get HWInfo64.

Last edited:

DREDKNOT_2077

Honorable
Nov 5, 2017
It looks like you are p-state overclocking... good luck with that. I tried with my 1700 and gave up because I just couldn't get the state settings right.

BTW, the bios p-state settings I've ever seen use HEX, not decimal. That's probably a major reason why I couldn't get settings right. P-State was a brief fad with early BIOS's with Zen 1 on 300 series boards but it's largely gone by the wayside since later BIOS's provide more control. Especially starting with Zen+ (2000 series CPU's) where PBO started working rather well for them.

And lastly: I'm not sure just what CPU-X is...it looks like CPU-Z? maybe a knock-off? If like CPU-Z, the voltage readout is hopelessly useless for Ryzen since it's strobe delays are almost measured in minutes. That leads to every reading in it being woefully lagged to actual processor status since Ryzen is extremely dynamic with voltage control, even 2nd Gen. It trying to P-State overclock do yourself a favor and get HWInfo64.
ok thanks an the cpu-x is the linux version of cpuz an HWInfo64 dosent work for me as it doesnt show me what the vcore draw is at idle or load to gauge what volt im pulling
that my primary need to know

ok thanks an the cpu-x is the linux version of cpuz an HWInfo64 dosent work for me as it doesnt show me what the vcore draw is at idle or load to gauge what volt im pulling
that my primary need to know
Ryzen's never really "idle" in the sense you may be used to, it's too dynamic. And an OS like Windows, with hundreds of background processes constantly doing something, makes it more active. It frequently drops individual cores into deep sleep, though, when voltage is very low (possibly zero since the core is essentially turned off) but no utility can see the voltage. The reason is if the utility asked it's voltage then it would wake up to answer and you'll get a high voltage reading. So instead a well-behaved utility will report the last voltage before dropping into the sleep state.

You can see much of that with HWINfo64. Monitor C6 sleep status on a per core basis, for instance. The percentage of time it's in C6 the voltage is essentially zero. You can also monitor SVI2 VCore and look at the MINIMUM voltag. Or better is the average of the SVI2 Vcore over a period of time when you're doing nothing on the computer can sort of give you an idea of what "idle" voltage is.

And also create a graph on the desktop to watch the VCore changes over time. Graphs are very useful for a highly dynamic processor like Ryzen.

Last edited:

DREDKNOT_2077

Honorable
Nov 5, 2017
Ryzen's never really "idle" in the sense you may be used to, it's too dynamic. And an OS like Windows, with hundreds of background processes constantly doing something, makes it more active. It frequently drops individual cores into deep sleep, though, when voltage is very low (possibly zero since the core is essentially turned off) but no utility can see the voltage. The reason is if the utility asked it's voltage then it would wake up to answer and you'll get a high voltage reading. So instead a well-behaved utility will report the last voltage before dropping into the sleep state.

You can see much of that with HWINfo64. Monitor C6 sleep status on a per core basis, for instance. The percentage of time it's in C6 the voltage is essentially zero. You can also monitor SVI2 VCore and look at the MINIMUM voltag. Or better is the average of the SVI2 Vcore over a period of time when you're doing nothing on the computer can sort of give you an idea of what "idle" voltage is.

And also create a graph on the desktop to watch the VCore changes over time. Graphs are very useful for a highly dynamic processor like Ryzen.
thanks