Volume automatically mutes

raunak62

Honorable
Apr 27, 2014
My PC's volume gets automatically muted. This has been occurring for last few days. The volume mixer icon automatically goes mute, randomly. It's not like the volume keeps on decreasing and goes to 0. It instantly mutes. Happens mostly when I connect headphones or earphones to my PC. Also happens when speakers are connected, though less frequently. I have to manually unmute from taskbar icon. It would again go mute after some time. Happens most frequently when playing CS:GO. Also happens when playing any video file, audio file or even videos on youtube; though it takes longer to mute in those cases.
No, i don't have any mute button on my keyboard, which might be causing the problem.
Another issue that i was facing: pressing the windows button would initiate shutdown. I know this warrants a 2nd thread but i think the problems may be related. I scanned for viruses after installing kaspersky antivirus. It found some viruses and did its advanced disinfection thing. I then also scanned with malwarebytes and it too found malwares(24). It quarantined those malwares and i rebooted my pc but the problem still existed. Later after some search on google I set the power button action in powers options to "do nothing" from "shutdown". It resolved my shutdown issue. Somehow the windows button was imitating the action of power button. Maybe some malware remapped my keyboard actions. Could this be same for the auto-mute problem?
Here are the things that I tried:
-Reinstalled realtek audio driver
-Uninstalled keyboard and mouse from device manager and replugged them afterwards.
- sfc /scannow doesn't report any integrity violation.
- Added a random keyboard layout, set that as default and removed my original keyboard layout. Then again added original keyboard layout.
-Tried clean booting, i.e disabled all non-microsoft services from msconfig and removed all startup programs except kaspersky.
-Unfortunately no previous system restore points exists.
-No programs in the startup folder.
-Headphone and other audio devices are working fine when connected to other devices. So i dont think its a hardware problem.
-windows audio troubleshooter temporary solved the problem. Shows: audio device muted fixed. But volume is again muted a bit later, in the same session; without restarting or logging off.
-Tried a teamviewer session with my friend. When volume is muted on my pc, the change is not reflected on his side. Audio plays fine without muting on his teamviewer window.
-Set to "do nothing" from "reduce volume to 80%" under communication tab of properties of current playback device in sounds of control panel.
-turned off sticky keys and filter key(already turned off).

I disconnected my keyboard for 15 mins, played csgo without keyboard(lol) and it didn't mute. Earlier it would mute within 1 min. of launching the game. Could it be the keyboard only? Keyboard hardware seems fine though. I suspect some key mapping of malware still exists even after the malware has been removed. How can I remove those key mapping, if that is the actual issue!
Any solutions...
Pc specs in short:
CPU: AMD FX 8350
GPU: Nvidia gtx 960
RAM: 16GB
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS m5a97 le r2.0