[SOLVED] Volume wont play through TV?

BillWiTheScienceFi

Reputable
Oct 4, 2019
I posted this earlier but for some reason its missing on my threads so ill post it again

I like to watch online shows sometimes on my TV but I'm having issues with the sound not coming out of my TV when i hook my pc up to it via HDMI cable. (I unplug my monitor and plugin the hdmi connected to my TV to my PC)
The first few times i did this the sound worked just fine and DID come out of the TV. Now its just playing sound through my pebble speakers i have.

I have tried all the following things:
Unplugging my pebble speakers (or turning OFF) before i plug in the hdmi cable from TV
Making sure the volume is UP on my TV
I even tried going to sound settings to select my TV as sound as google said to do but there is never an option for my TV
replugging in the hdmi several times (even in a different slot)
Everything is up to date

Any suggestions? Could it be that my TV is older and the HDMI cable is newer? Its 4k compatible but is also backwards compatible (my TV is NOT 4k) But as i stated earlier the sound had worked through my TV in the past....

TV is insignia
HDMI cable is this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DI89SLS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Solution
The key here is your statement that sound DOES come out of your "Pebble Speakers". I presume this is a set of small speakers that is plugged into an audio output jack (probably light green) on the back panel of your mobo. Right?

Many computer mobos have audio output chips built into them and feed their output through a set of 3 jacks on the mobo rear panel. Separately, many have graphics cards to generate video output sent out through an HDMI socket on the back edge of the video card, and NOT from a socket on that same mobo rear panel that has the audio jacks. Is that your arrangement?

I will assume that is correct for now. The root of the problem is that there is no standard way for audio generated by a chip on the mobo to be fed to...

dimtodim

Reputable
why u turn off monitor i often do same connect tv to pc but dont turn my monitor. monitor is connected with display port and tv directly from gpu with hdmi...i use option extended display in display settings...u have some settings and can choose what will be sound source for speakers tv or pc.. shortly..

BillWiTheScienceFi

Reputable
Oct 4, 2019
why u turn off monitor i often do same connect tv to pc but dont turn my monitor. monitor is connected with display port and tv directly from gpu with hdmi...i use option extended display in display settings...u have some settings and can choose what will be sound source for speakers tv or pc.. shortly..
I'm not turning my monitor off i unplug it so i can plug in my tv to the same slot. And i already stated in my post i tried going through sound settings. my TV does not turn up as an option

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
The key here is your statement that sound DOES come out of your "Pebble Speakers". I presume this is a set of small speakers that is plugged into an audio output jack (probably light green) on the back panel of your mobo. Right?

Many computer mobos have audio output chips built into them and feed their output through a set of 3 jacks on the mobo rear panel. Separately, many have graphics cards to generate video output sent out through an HDMI socket on the back edge of the video card, and NOT from a socket on that same mobo rear panel that has the audio jacks. Is that your arrangement?

I will assume that is correct for now. The root of the problem is that there is no standard way for audio generated by a chip on the mobo to be fed to a video card. So, how can one send sound out on the HDMI cable plugged into the add-on video card? Well, easy solution is virtually all such video cards also have their own audio output chip on them, and that signal can be included on the HDMI output cable going to your monitor or TV or whatever.

Now, the second part of the "gotcha" is that Windows can only use ONE audio output system at a time, no matter how many your machine has. My bet is that your system has been set up to use the audio chip on the mobo and thus send sound out to your Pebble Speakers via the mobo's output jack. That means there is NO audio being sent out on the HDMI cable from the audio chip in the video card. Hence no sound on your TV - only on the Pebble Speakers.

YOU can change that any time you want. It's a configuration item in Windows. Click on Settings ... System ... Sound. Look for a place where you can see what is the Default Sound Playback Device. There will be a little window that probably says something like Realtek audio, which is the chip on the mobo. There's a little down-arrow beside that to open a list of ALL your systems' audio output devices, and I bet you will find there is a second one with a name of your video card. Choose that one and back out. Now Windows will send audio out from that chip through the HDMI cable to your TV. When you switch back to using your monitor, change this Default Sound Output Device setting back to the Realtek mobo system.

Solution