Volvo's First Self-driving Cars Scheduled for 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]ohim[/nom]what`s the point in having a car and not being able to drive it ...[/citation]
I saw a car wreck today because someone ran a red light. If an autonomous car could help prevent that I am all for it.

Zagen30

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
[citation][nom]ohim[/nom]what`s the point in having a car and not being able to drive it ...[/citation]

Not everyone particularly likes driving. I drive because it's the most convenient form of travel and because US society is pretty much designed around automobiles, but when given the option to let someone else drive, I usually let them do so. I'd very much welcome a safe autopilot feature.

blubbey

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
What's the point in not removing the weak link in the car?

tiret

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010
drinking and driving would be legal...

mrmaia

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
The technology uses wireless internet which assigns each car a spot on the road and allows the vehicle to interact with other vehicles on the road.

So will we be able to actually stalk the hot chicks that stop by our sides thru the internet? :)

A self-driving car would increase safety and access to disabled people in so many ways. I'm all for it.

G

First they will seduce everyone in with stories of how wonderfully safe these new 'Autonomous' cars will be. There will be lots of 'Gee Whiz' stories about how amazing the new technology is. How you will be able to do your makeup in the mirror, make phone calls, even watch TV instead of attending to tedious driving. Eventually, new laws will come saying cars must now be 'Autonomous' because it is 'Safer'. Later, the time will come where you will need to get permission to go where you want to go. Gone will be the days of 'just get in and drive'. And of course all cars will be monitored in this new wonderful system. There will be no more going where you aren't supposed to go. In time all journeys will need to be approved by the state. In the end, this is all about control, and once again taking away your freedom. Of course this will happen in the name of 'Our Safety' and our much coveted 'Convenience'. That's the excuse they always use to take away your rights, but it will 'Save Lives'. After all, what sane person would argue against 'Safety' and 'Saving Lives'? Wake up sheeple they're coming after your computers, your cars, and your data now! Is there anything they can do that will make you say 'Enough!'? I doubt it....

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
This is fantastic. No more drunk driving wrecks, no more texting while driving wrecks. No more falling asleep in your car wreck and no more wreckless drivers. Plus people with disabilites will be able to go places without fear of their disabilities causing them to get into wrecks.

RADIO_ACTIVE

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
DUIs may become a thing of he past... although I bet given the option of using it or not, I'm sure some drunk idiots would still F up lol

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
I can't wait for these cars to be out on the road. The first thing I'm going to do is jump in front of one in a crosswalk at the last moment.

clist

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2008
[citation][nom]G Orwell[/nom]In time all journeys will need to be approved by the state.[/citation]

...and there lies the quaint anachronism of your Orwellian scenario. "The State" as a monolithic control mechanism does not exist and will not exist in the world for long time to come. Government, despite it's increased ability to control and pry, has become completely subservient to the will of big money interests, billionaires, and mega-corporations. Those interests are often at odds with each other. Those interests also change far too quickly in modern markets to establish any kind of centralized omnipotent power and motivation (10 years ago who thought Apple would be worth as much as GE and Exxon?)

Yeah man, I just don't see it happening in any sort of 1984 way... who in today's world benefits monetarily from that?

Now, back on topic, as someone who lives in an urban center with a lot of traffic I say; "self driving car?? the sooner the better! Driving for me is nothing but a chore"

Branden

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009

i enjoy driving, but if i could turn on auto-pilot to let the car take over during traffic jams and pass the time reading a book or watching last nights show then i'm all for it. it'd make traffic jams 80% less aggravating simply by giving drivers the option to focus on something other than the traffic jam while listening to the radio traffic report telling you you should have taken another route.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
i dream of the day i can do the drive from florida to chicago plug in where i want to go and just wake up along the way for gas when needed. also would mak eme feel much better about driving my motorcycle considering i have been him 4 tiems by cars not paying attention twice they just pulled out in front of me "not able to see me" one even said it was my fault for not being more visible on my bright yellow ducati

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007

Oh man, I didn't even think of how much safer it might potentially be for us motorcyclists. No more being afraid of the highway! A girl can dream... :p

_Cosmin_

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
They could not do a viable thing on trains which have tracks... is far away from reality. And the price will be very high so average tired/drunk/etc. driver will not afford it - so stop dreaming!

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]_Cosmin_[/nom]They could not do a viable thing on trains which have tracks... is far away from reality. And the price will be very high so average tired/drunk/etc. driver will not afford it - so stop dreaming![/citation]

Technology and innovation are beautiful things. Just because something seems impractical or too expensive now, that doesn't mean it will be that way forever. I love getting excited over news like this because it offers a glimpse of what the future holds. I am not saying it will be readily available and affordable for every consumer in the next 18 to 24 months, but I reserve the right to dream about the day that it is.

krazyjamus

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
[citation][nom]G Orwell[/nom]First they will seduce everyone in with stories of how wonderfully safe these new 'Autonomous' cars will be. There will be lots of 'Gee Whiz' stories about how amazing the new technology is. How you will be able to do your makeup in the mirror, make phone calls, even watch TV instead of attending to tedious driving. Eventually, new laws will come saying cars must now be 'Autonomous' because it is 'Safer'. Later, the time will come where you will need to get permission to go where you want to go. Gone will be the days of 'just get in and drive'. And of course all cars will be monitored in this new wonderful system. There will be no more going where you aren't supposed to go. In time all journeys will need to be approved by the state. In the end, this is all about control, and once again taking away your freedom. Of course this will happen in the name of 'Our Safety' and our much coveted 'Convenience'. That's the excuse they always use to take away your rights, but it will 'Save Lives'. After all, what sane person would argue against 'Safety' and 'Saving Lives'? Wake up sheeple they're coming after your computers, your cars, and your data now! Is there anything they can do that will make you say 'Enough!'? I doubt it....[/citation]

Was gonna downvote, but then saw your username. Touche.

stevo777

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
As far as the drinking and driving thing, all the self driving car laws crafted so far insist that a person still be sober in case of failure with the self driving system. As someone who likes his beer, I wish you could get away with the car being the designated driver, but I don't think it's going to happen any time soon. It may be harder for cops to spot "drunks" if the car is driving itself and, of course, not swerving. On the other hand, the drunks may do something stupid, such as hit a button in the vehicle that they aren't supposed to and shut off the autopilot--oops.

anti-painkilla

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
[citation][nom]_Cosmin_[/nom]They could not do a viable thing on trains which have tracks... is far away from reality. And the price will be very high so average tired/drunk/etc. driver will not afford it - so stop dreaming![/citation]

It might be able to keep Lindsay Lohan out of jail.

#poortaste?

f-14

Distinguished
will not be legal in the united states. lawyers have already sought and recieved laws to put any driverless vehicle as automatically at fault in any crash as a real human would be able to avoid collisions much better and faster than any computer or remotely operated vehicle.

the US federal department of transportation has already blocked this technology citing alot of the same reasons and further saying these vehicles would lead to more crashes as they are not able to think intelligently enough to handle anything fast moving such as children or animals darting into roads or cross walks let alone people running red lights or not yeilding.

drones are already blocked from operating with out a special use conditional permit and in restricted areas designed for such operation weather they fly, drive, walk, or navigate waterways.

f-14

Distinguished
[citation][nom]wanderer11[/nom]I saw a car wreck today because someone ran a red light. If an autonomous car could help prevent that I am all for it.[/citation]

vehicles with a red light braking system and distance restrictive braking system are already in the works by demand of the us department of transportation

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS