Fenix

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2001
Been wanting to buy a Voodoo5 6000 board, even though 3dfx is dead... but does anyone know if it ever was released? *sigh*

G

No it wasn't. 3dfx, after delaying the card for ever, finally released an official announcement that they would only be licensing the quad-processor 6000 technology for some kind of professional application. I can't remember the exact use it was gonna be put to but I had the impression it would be stand-alone arcade games and the like. (I have seen a few arcade games that say "Powered by VooDoo graphics," but they were too old to be the 6000 technology.) It's my opinion that 3dfx didn't have the resources to produce a card that expensive, or just decided that end users never would pay $600 for a card, or maybe both.

Regards,
Warden

Fenix

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2001
Thanx for your input.

Too bad they never released it.. it'd be fun to own one :)

3Dfx will never die... just the staff of NVidia when I charge at 'em with a machinegun...

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
No more 3DFX.... Frankly I don't like the sound of that and I am not happy about why that is so. Uusally when a company buys out another company it is to take over production of a good product to make money not to just close them down for good. I've never owned a 3DFX product, have used them on a number of machines but now it looks like I will never have that option to buy that different brand. Hopefully KyroII from VideoLogic and STMicroelectronics does well.

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
They sold them to flight simulators, like what pilots use to train. and for military too, i think.

-----------------
"648kb is all the space anyone will ever need!"

Bill Gates, 1980s

G

Noko,
You shouldn't blame NVIDIA for the end of 3dfx for a couple reasons:

One, 3dfx ran themselves out of business by combining bad business choices with a bad year for computer sales, and in the end chose to sell to NVIDIA. I won't try to give a detailed analysis of their demise as I am not an expert on corporate operations. If you follow the links from the Tom's pages I list below, however, you will find plenty of in-depth information about it. The only thing I will say is actually a quote from Scott Sellers, 3dfx founder and chief technology officer: "Although we've done our best to avoid taking drastic action, we have finally been forced to admit that there is no possible way we can continue in our current state. As such, we have negotiated an agreement with NVIDIA that will allow us to provide the best possible result to our creditors, investors, employees and customers."

Two, business buy-outs are very commonly made for the purpose of eliminating competition. This is why there had to be government approval for the 3dfx sale like there is for other large sales--to make sure nobody will end up a monopoly. A good example is the purchase of Areal by Creative Labs. Areal was struggling to keep afloat, which gave Creative the opportunity to both eliminate competition and end the legal battles the two companies were having--and they took it. So would have any other company. So did NVIDIA.

Now having said all that does not mean I was happy to see 3dfx go under. I just don't blame anyone but themselves for not keeping up. I was sad to see them go, and I hope we will get another company in to shake things up a bit, keep competition alive. But even just the competition between ATI and NVIDIA looks to be interesting.

Regards,
Warden

http://www6.tomshardware.com/blurb/00q4/001218/xmas-01.html
http://216.92.8.170/technews/technews-20001216.html#0259

G

some V5 6000 board pics and 8xFSAA screeshot

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/tnaw_xtennis/v5-6k-card.htm" target="_new">here</A>

scarecrow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The 6000 never went into production, but there were some boards made. I saw someone on xsunderground selling some. I guess he knew someone who worked in one of the Texas offices. Just make sure if you buy one of the 6000 that you get the external power supplies. The power supply plugs into the back of the card. And I doubt you'd be able to find one of those suckers over at radioshack.

<A HREF="http://www.seti.tomshardware.com" target="_new">Join The Tom's Hardware SETI@Home Team</A>