Vosonic 8360 software upgrade? Unknown Linux OS

duck_of_death

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
I have a somewhat old device called a Vosonic (Wolverine) 8360. It's a combination portable hard drive, card reader, and media player. You can read more about it here; PC030017.

The 8360 can play music, movies, and games, and display photos on its color screen, using it's built-in operating system. I assume it's some flavor of Linux. It can also act as a simple external drive when connected to a Windows computer via USB; no driver needed.

My only complaint is that it can't play my HD music files (flac format, mostly), because it pre-dates the rise of HD. And I can't figure out how to install a newer player, like WinAmp, on it. I can't see the applications it already has, from Windows, and I can't see Windows from the 8360.

I could probably put WinAmp on a CF card and plug that into the 8360, but I'm not sure what good that would do. Has anyone out there run into, and solved, this problem?

Considering the manufacturer website is defunct and numerous other reasons you are probably SOL. Clinging on to a piece of dead technology for purely nostoligia is admirable however it stands to fact that portable media players / android devices that do what you want can be bought for just a few dollars. Its 2015! Upgrade already ;)

You won't be able to install WinAmp anyway (for what I know, WinAmp is Windows-only), and as Skittle said - move on. Whatever you get new, will run cooler, take less energy, and probably sound better. And reading thru search results, it seems primary purpose of this device is photos backup, with media playing as secondary thought.

This would make for a fun hacking project, but no more.

duck_of_death

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
Nah, it's not nostalgia. It's the fact that nothing else actually does everything the Vosonic does, except a laptop. And, yes, the primary purpose for which I (and most other people) bought it is backing up photos when I'm on the road, but that doesn't make the other capabilities unimportant. The point was to combine many functions in one small device, and it did that better than anything else, at the time. A laptop is overkill, and weighs 10 times as much. But, it does play flac files.

duck_of_death

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
most photograhpers i know just buy extra SD cards
It's not my fault that you don't know any serious photographers.

any android device can do this and much more
Really? My Galaxy S5 can't. Who makes a device that has a card reader, upgradable 80GB hard drive, user-replaceable battery, color screen, video recorder, ability to play back through a TV, can display various types of non-media documents, etc, and fits in a pocket?

I don't know if you are joking or not now. Your S5 can do all of this.

device that has a card reader
upgradable 80GB hard drive
Your S5 has a built in microSD reader so add as much space as you want. 128GB microSD cards are cheap and commonly available.
You can also purchase an microusb OTG multi card reader (there any many on amazon):
www.amazon.com/Adapter-LDesign®-Micro-USB-Charging-Smartphone/dp/B015S7WX7M/

ability to play back through a TV
Your S5 can display to a TV a couple of ways. Via chromecast. Via wireless screen mirroring built into smart tv's and bluray players. Or directly with a MHL-HDMI cable:
https://www.google.com/intl/en_us/chromecast/
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-MHL-3-0-HDTV-Adapter/dp/B00PQXOAWK/

user-replaceable battery, color screen, video recorder..can display various types of non-media documents, etc, and fits in a pocket
This must be a joke? its 2016 practically every consumer device on the market has this. Your S5 certainly does.

And just to confirm that this entire thread is a joke trying to convince people the last decade did not exist:
It's not my fault that you don't know any serious photographers.

You think photographers have time in the field to pull out their tablet device and offload pictures from their SD card? Is this your camera? :
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5021/5598504214_fbe10510eb.jpg

You cannot convince me that any serious photographer would rather spend time offloading pictures than the 10 seconds it takes to pull out and swap a new SD card. Not to mention that is pretty difficult to actually fill a camera with 256gb SD cards even shooting RAW. ~10,000 pictures with one 256GB SD card in one day is already a lot not to mention that many modern cameras have more than one SD card slot.

Troll? You already own a modern device that suits ALL of the needs you listed, not sure what else you want.

NTsOF.jpg