VOTW: Calling Tech Support Over Google Pacman

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HalJordan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
So many opportunities for the guy to be a complete jerk during the call.

Woman: "So I can't study today?"
Tech: "Nope, unless you buy a new computer. The new Pac-Man Google home page is permanent with your brand of computer."

geminireaper

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
[citation][nom]TA152H[/nom]I don't know what his job was, exactly, but I'm sure the customer called him felt it was his. It doesn't matter, really, whether it is, or isn't, because if you get off the phone with a customer, and give them the impression you don't care, you've created a bad impression that hurts your company.Either way, he attempted to help her, and just was terrible at it.[/citation]
TA152H I cant agree with you on this. I work for a large ISP and I get people calling in wanting me to help them with their problems all the time. Yes Im an IT but we have things we support and things we dont. If your pc wont boot up its not my problem. But customers seem to think its my job to fix it. When your car breaks down do you call BP to fix it for you?

G

@geminireaper:
That may be true, but the tech support guy should have politely explained that he could not help her and ended it there if he was too busy or wasn't interested. Since he decided to help, he should have done his best to resolve the issue quickly and satisfactorily.

the associate

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
[citation][nom]doitright[/nom]@geminireaper:That may be true, but the tech support guy should have politely explained that he could not help her and ended it there if he was too busy or wasn't interested. Since he decided to help, he should have done his best to resolve the issue quickly and satisfactorily.[/citation]

Umm, but he did? Wtf's all these ppl's problems with this tech support guy? Are you all the same dumbasses who call tech supports and ask them ridiculous questions that have nothing to do with their field of expertise and get pissed off cause your the moron????

Do you own an ipad by the way?

demn

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
Nice joke :), but as all calls to the support centers are qualified as personal data, I`m in doubt its real. :)

G

Well, as far as the support guy goes, I think he was a little rough early on. I do support as well, but no over the phone, so maybe I would have a more difficult time if that were the case. I could hear him fighting laughter the entire conversation, which I can understand, but isn't super professional. I definitely think he stuck with her and helped her out, but overall I didn't find his support to be top-notch. I also agree that he did a poor job outlining the screen for the user who was obviously clueless. At the end of the day, for all of us who "get it", it's definitely funny, but I have family members like this woman and in the race to teach people it can sometimes be unfortunate to poke fun at the people who at least try to use computers even if they don't know what they're doing. Not to mention that since I enjoy working in the support field, it is always my priority to do what I can to help people learn about technology and make better use of it in their daily lives. It sounds stupid, but the joy that a user like this woman might get from learning something as simple as closing a browser tab is like watching a child learn to tie a shoe lace. It's a little bit of magic.

G

I just found this and think it's awesome because I'm friends with the guy who took the call and he let me listen to it. I thought it was hilarious, gave us a good laugh in between our SC2 matches.

Status
Not open for further replies.