VPN access causes Netgear RP614v2 router to lock up.

Has anyone else seen this problem?

I'm running Checkpoint VPN client software on my XP Pro machine at home to
access an office network.

Everything works fine for about 5 minutes, then I lose access. I find that
my router locks up and I can't even access my local network. The problem is
not local to my machine since other machines on my local network also lose
access. After a reset, the router works fine again.

Is this a known problem with the Netgear RP614v2 ?

I'm running 5.14RC9 firmware.

Is there a better VPN capable router/firewall for home use (< $200)?

-Randy

"RJGraham" <spamcop_764376_@surfbytes_123_._5637.com_4785> wrote in

> Has anyone else seen this problem?
>
> I'm running Checkpoint VPN client software on my XP Pro machine at
> home to access an office network.
>
> Everything works fine for about 5 minutes, then I lose access. I find
> that my router locks up and I can't even access my local network. The
> problem is not local to my machine since other machines on my local
> network also lose access. After a reset, the router works fine again.
>
> Is this a known problem with the Netgear RP614v2 ?
>
> I'm running 5.14RC9 firmware.
>
> Is there a better VPN capable router/firewall for home use (< $200)?
>
> -Randy

I have never had a problem using the BEFW11S4 v1 model router to VPN to
work. I have been doing it for three years now. You may want to checkout
BFE model Linksys.

Duane :)

> > Has anyone else seen this problem?
[snip...]

> > Is there a better VPN capable router/firewall for home use (< $200)?
> >
> > -Randy
>
> I have never had a problem using the BEFW11S4 v1 model router to VPN to
> work. I have been doing it for three years now. You may want to checkout
> BFE model Linksys.
>
> Duane :)

Thanks Duane,

I did a little more googling and settled on a D-Link DI-808HV.
It has 8 ports and VPN support with IPSec.
I picked one up today and it works wonderfully !
VPN works without locking up.

I also like the firewall feature which allows blocking connections from a
range of IP addresses.
I have been doing this using IPSec policies with my Windows 2003 Server and
had been looking for a 'cheap' router that could handle this.

-Randy

TRENDING THREADS