VPN between offices for voIP

groundedchevy

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
I have been searching all morning looking for the best solution.

I have an Avaya IP office setup on a 1.5 mb T1 PRI at location 1. My second location is going to run IP phones over 15mb/1mb DSL connection. All calls will generate from the IP office at location 1. I will have 6-8 IP phones at location 2.

I assume i need a VPN setup between the two office for the IP phones to work. I've been looking for the best VPN solution and it appears for a budget the Netgear FVS318 or FVS338 is the way to go. If I go that route do I just need a FVS338 or FVS318 at both locations? Is there a better solution? We are a small business and we aren't going to have a budget of more than $400 for both pieces. Cheaper the better.

Is Ipcop a solution for a VPN setup like this? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Jantech

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
Although I'm not very familiar with VOIP, I am very familiar with VPN. I would say that your would not be able to get enough speed to make a VOIP solution over VPN. Do you have a PBX or do the phone just operate independently. If independently you will not need a VPN as the phones just need internet access.

Jantech

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
As VOIP is a streaming connection that requires a fast and very stable connection, I'm not sure that a VPN is going to be good for this solution as it has a very high overhead for encryption.
If you want to try, I would recommend watchguard products, they make it pretty easy to setup an office to office VPN (Branch office VPN). You will need 2 devices, more something like XTM 21 or 22

groundedchevy

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012

Is there a certain model of Draytek Vigor router that you recommend for this setup? I have a dedicated 15mb/1mb DSL circuit for the phones only. The only thing I'm a little confused on is the receptionist console. If I have a connection for internet and phone how do I get the receptionist computer to use the internet connection and not the phone connection?

groundedchevy

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
We are going to have a receptionist console at each location. Both receptionist console will be on a Windows 7 machine with 2 NIC. One NIC is wired (Phone Network), and the other is wireless (Normal internet traffic and printers). I'm a little confused how I force the wired NIC for the Avaya software only, and the wireless NIC for internet traffice only.