[SOLVED] VPN connection cancels out my wireless internet

jbourne84

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
This is a new work laptop with Windows 10, so this is the first time trying this out. I have a wireless internet connection with working internet. As soon as I establish a VPN connection my wireless connection still says connected but "no internet access". If I disconnect from the VPN my internet returns.

After some brief searching I found this: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...he-internet-after-you-connect-to-a-vpn-server

This may or may not be my exact answer but the main gist from that article is this:
To resolve this issue, configure the client computers to use the default gateway setting on the local network for Internet traffic and a static route on the remote network for VPN-based traffic.

It goes on with some instructions but they arent for windows 10. I would love any help with sorting this out, thanks!

Solution
The purpose of VPN is to route ALL TRAFFIC thru the tunnel. If you have access to resources proviced by the VPN, then you should not care what WiFi icon says.

That is - if you're VPN-ing into your employer' VPN server, then your Internet access will be regulated by your employer. If you want access to Internet AND access to VPN resources - this is something to discuss with your IT staff.
The purpose of VPN is to route ALL TRAFFIC thru the tunnel. If you have access to resources proviced by the VPN, then you should not care what WiFi icon says.

That is - if you're VPN-ing into your employer' VPN server, then your Internet access will be regulated by your employer. If you want access to Internet AND access to VPN resources - this is something to discuss with your IT staff.

Solution