VPN connection problem

Hi

In our company we had just installed a VPN server When I tested the
connection from my work PC which is in our LAN, the connection was
established successfully.
But when I try to connect from my home PC, I get the following error:
- first it takes a long time when system is verifying username and passowrd
- then Error 721: The remote computer did not respond ....

VPN server is running on Windows 2003 (using default cofiguration for VPN on
RRAS service). Server is a member server of our company domain in LAN, using
1 NIC with private static IP like 10.10.10.12
I also created/redirected one public IP on our firewall to this private IP
using TCP port 1723, so that VPN server is accessed from WAN through 1723
port for PPTP connections.
Where could be the problem? Any ideas?

Thank for all help in advance

Ragards
Miha

Your going to need two network cards in this machine for it to do anything.
You may be able to connect to it but you won't be able to browse any
resources. You also have to make sure that your firewall is letting GRE
Potocol 47 in. Sometimes it is just called PPTP pass through or VPN pass
through depending on the firewall.

--
Scott Harding
MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+

"Miha Bernik" <miha.bernik@gvskupina.si> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> In our company we had just installed a VPN server When I tested the
> connection from my work PC which is in our LAN, the connection was
> established successfully.
> But when I try to connect from my home PC, I get the following error:
> - first it takes a long time when system is verifying username and
passowrd
> - then Error 721: The remote computer did not respond ....
>
> VPN server is running on Windows 2003 (using default cofiguration for VPN
on
> RRAS service). Server is a member server of our company domain in LAN,
using
> 1 NIC with private static IP like 10.10.10.12
> I also created/redirected one public IP on our firewall to this private IP
> using TCP port 1723, so that VPN server is accessed from WAN through 1723
> port for PPTP connections.
> Where could be the problem? Any ideas?
>
> Thank for all help in advance
>
> Ragards
> Miha

Protocol 47/GRE also needs to be allowed to pas through the firewall. On some
firewalls it is referred to as pptp passthrough. Also configure the properties of
your client vpn connectoid to use pptp as server type in properties/network type. By
default W2K will try l2tp first if set to auto. Try to connect by the public IP
address also if you are using name currently. --- Steve