VPN error 628

Hello,
I have a Windows XP Pro sitting behind a DSL gateway with NAT enabled.
I have enabled on my gateway PPTP/L2P passthrough, which I understand
is GRE 47. Additionally, I have forwarded port 1723 to the ip address
of the vpn server.
I also set the verify ip dword VerifyAddress in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\(blah)\Class\{...}\0000 to 0. The purpose of this,
as I understand it, is so that it doesn't try and verify the checksums
on the packet when it appears to be coming from a source different
from what the router says.
However, when I try to connect to it from outside the network, it
appears as though it is going to connect and then gives error 628:
"The connection was terminated by the remote computer before it could
be completed. For further assistance, click More Info....."

Also, I know the user I'm trying to authenticate as has admin
privileges.

Does anyone have any other ideas as to what more I need to do to
enable this?

Thanks,

Evan

PPTP uses IP Protocol 47 GRE and TCP 1723.
L2TP uses IP Protocol 50 IPSEC and UDP 500 (and others, depending on
what L2TP/IPSEC server you are using).

Note that you need a hotfix to enable a L2TP VPN connection over a NAT
connection (as well as a server that supports L2TP NAT-Traversal).

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On 16 Apr 2004 00:15:34 -0700, evan_child@hotmail.com (Evan Child)
wrote:

>Hello,
>I have a Windows XP Pro sitting behind a DSL gateway with NAT enabled.
>I have enabled on my gateway PPTP/L2P passthrough, which I understand
>is GRE 47. Additionally, I have forwarded port 1723 to the ip address
>of the vpn server.
>I also set the verify ip dword VerifyAddress in
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\(blah)\Class\{...}\0000 to 0. The purpose of this,
>as I understand it, is so that it doesn't try and verify the checksums
>on the packet when it appears to be coming from a source different
>from what the router says.
>However, when I try to connect to it from outside the network, it
>appears as though it is going to connect and then gives error 628:
>"The connection was terminated by the remote computer before it could
>be completed. For further assistance, click More Info....."
>
>Also, I know the user I'm trying to authenticate as has admin
>privileges.
>
>Does anyone have any other ideas as to what more I need to do to
>enable this?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Evan

Glenndrew

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
Hello,
i also faced this problem many times but i fixed it, i also got some help from this article error 628 , hope someone might get help from this article.
It is generally an issue with your modem, phone line, or a blocking port. This article answers the question how to fix error 628 Windows 7.

Contact ISP to Check the Phone Line
Upgrade the Network Driver
Repair your Network Configurations
Reinstall Modem Device