Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I've been trying to get our 2 offices to connect with eachother through a VPN. We have at each office: Linksys wrv54g routers that are connected to a cable modem, each site also has 1 pc running XP pro & 1pc running Win ME. Each site has the 2 pc's networked together & connected to the internet. Both of my routers are connected to eachother using the vpn settings on the router. My problem is that I still can not see the pc's at the other office. I belive the problem is with IP or IPSEC settings in windows. I've been working on this for a few days now, any help or tips would be useful.

Check out the Help for site-to-site VPN at:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/technologies/networking/vpndpls2.mspx

Help on Deploying an L2TP/IPSec-based Site-to-Site VPN Connection is at:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/technologies/networking/vpndpls2.mspx#XSLTsection125121120120

--
- Manjari
"Rob" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've been trying to get our 2 offices to connect with eachother through a
VPN. We have at each office: Linksys wrv54g routers that are connected to a
cable modem, each site also has 1 pc running XP pro & 1pc running Win ME.
Each site has the 2 pc's networked together & connected to the internet.
Both of my routers are connected to eachother using the vpn settings on the
router. My problem is that I still can not see the pc's at the other
office. I belive the problem is with IP or IPSEC settings in windows. I've
been working on this for a few days now, any help or tips would be useful.

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I assume you have static IP addresses on both sides.

The Linksys wrv54g routers firmware might not be up to date. I had a similar problem that drove me crazy for numerous days. The linksys firmware would let me set IPSEC passthrough, but it didn't work. As the router's kernel is open source running under Linux, I was able to find a group of third party people out there on the Internet who have been rewriting sections of code to fix the problems, and to add features. Search the Internet for alternative firmwares, or check with Linksys to see if they have addressed the issue in a firmware update.