VPN on BT Smart Hub X to bypass geolocking

Feb 7, 2019
Hi

I am from the US, and have various online entertainment subscriptions e.g. HBO, but work in the UK and can't access them here. I have use chromecasts to display stuff on the TV, and watch stuff on phone and tablet.

I have BT Ultrafast Fibre with a Smart Hub X. How can I setup a VPN to bypass the geolocking? I'm not bothered about privacy, encryption or accessing websites banned in the UK.

Thanks

bniknafs9

Honorable
Jan 21, 2019
if the modem that comes with your fiber internet has set up for l2tp , pptp vpn you can set it up on your modem . (you also have to have a vpn subscription too ) other than that look for a router / access point with vpn set up .

Unless you get lucky and can find a vpn service that the providers like HBO do not block it is going to be hard. Not so sure about HBO but netflix is extremely aggressive about searching out the ip address vpn providers use and blocking them.

Almost all asus and tplink routers have openvpn clients as well as servers. Asus with the merlin firmware has pretty fancy vpn abilities.

The way that works almost 100% is if you have a location in the USA in someones house. You would set the vpn server up in that house and then use your client to remotely access it. Your traffic would appear to come from that location so it is not geolocked. Since it uses 2 times the bandwidth you need a pretty good friend or relative to allow you to do this.