[SOLVED] vpn on preinstalled ddwrt router

me88

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
if i were to purchase a preinstalled ddwrt router do i still have to subscribe to a vpn service in order to use vpn on the ddwrt router? I don't want to spent almost $200 on a preinstalled ddwrt if I still have to pay to use some of the features.

Solution
Depends what you mean. There are 2 types of vpn really. When you use a service you are connecting to some server to give you access to the internet using a different IP address. Many times people do this to hide their home IP or to maybe watch tv in another country that is restricted by IP address.

The other form of VPN is when you want to remotely access stuff in your house. That one you only need your router and costs nothing. You do not need dd-wrt to do that a lot of routers have this form of vpn. It is called vpn server. Some people use it to watch say netflix when they are out of the country. It makes netflix think your are watching it from your house.
VPN cost money to company that provides it for their data centers and bandwidth. Any good vpn is not goingt o be free. Even the so called free ones try to make money back somehow by injecting ads into web pages or if they are really scams they put bitcoin miners into the clients. I don't know of any free vpn you can configure to connect to with a router.

It really depends on what exact feature you want in dd-wrt. If you want a more simple system buy one of the asus routers that support the merlin firmware. It is trivial to load the merlin image but it depends on what exact feature you need it does not have some of he feature other third party firmware does. Very few people need stuff like actual routing protocols. It does have advanced vpn but again you have to pay for any vpn service.

me88

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
VPN cost money to company that provides it for their data centers and bandwidth. Any good vpn is not goingt o be free. Even the so called free ones try to make money back somehow by injecting ads into web pages or if they are really scams they put bitcoin miners into the clients. I don't know of any free vpn you can configure to connect to with a router.

It really depends on what exact feature you want in dd-wrt. If you want a more simple system buy one of the asus routers that support the merlin firmware. It is trivial to load the merlin image but it depends on what exact feature you need it does not have some of he feature other third party firmware does. Very few people need stuff like actual routing protocols. It does have advanced vpn but again you have to pay for any vpn service.

so regardless i still have to pay for a vpn service even if i get a ddwrt router it can't be done locally?

Depends what you mean. There are 2 types of vpn really. When you use a service you are connecting to some server to give you access to the internet using a different IP address. Many times people do this to hide their home IP or to maybe watch tv in another country that is restricted by IP address.

The other form of VPN is when you want to remotely access stuff in your house. That one you only need your router and costs nothing. You do not need dd-wrt to do that a lot of routers have this form of vpn. It is called vpn server. Some people use it to watch say netflix when they are out of the country. It makes netflix think your are watching it from your house.

Solution

me88

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011

I want to use it to cover my home ip, but it looks like i have to subscribe to a service provider

You can get very good ones for under $5/month. Some are around $3/month if you buy a year or more at 1 time.

Note you are only going to get about 30mbps running vpn on most consumer routers. The only one that I know that can run faster are some of the asus routers that have vpn hardware accelerators. The ac86u is the cheapest one and it can do about 200mbps.

me88

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
You can get very good ones for under $5/month. Some are around $3/month if you buy a year or more at 1 time.

Note you are only going to get about 30mbps running vpn on most consumer routers. The only one that I know that can run faster are some of the asus routers that have vpn hardware accelerators. The ac86u is the cheapest one and it can do about 200mbps.

but i still have to subscribe to a vpn service?

TRENDING THREADS