vpn-router connect - who is expert?

Jo

hallo!... i´ve got 2 pc (office and home).. the pc s are connected with
internet per netgear vpn router (both) fvs318..

pc s are working with windowsxp prof. ..

realized ip-update with dyndns.org...

using remotedesktop of windowsxp prof.

now, here is the phanomenon:
sometimes the remote-connection is working without any problem... also i can
ping the other pc..

other times i can ping the pc and remote-connection is not working, other
times i can not ping and not connect...

some time later... it might be possible to connect again... hm...

and all without changing anything!

because i get connected, the preferences and settings must be correct. i
thougt it could be an ip-update-problem... but i got an updater to ensure
updating... perhaps it has something to do with the domain?... actually.. i
don´t know why the vpn-connection works and works not ... works .. and works
not...

do you have any information that could help me to fix that problem?...

thank u tons

jo

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 17:57:27 +0200, "jo"
<anwalt.schneider@t-online.de> wrote:

>i thougt it could be an ip-update-problem... but i got an updater to ensure
>updating

If the IP address changes the connection will be lost. You have to
reestablish it manually even though you now have an updated IP.

>perhaps it has something to do with the domain?

What domain?

--

Map Of The Vast Right Wing Conspiracy:
http://www.freewebs.com/vrwc/

"You can all go to hell, and I will go to Texas."
--David Crockett

Jo

thank you for your help!

but if i have to reestablish manually... how can i do this ?... thought the
vpn-router does this job automatically... am i wrong? i set my
dyndns.org-adress in the router (for exp. "jo.dyndns.org") and the router
tells to dyndns.org the ip.. don´t know how i could reestablish manually...
hm

"Bob" <spam@spam.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 17:57:27 +0200, "jo"
> <anwalt.schneider@t-online.de> wrote:
>
> >i thougt it could be an ip-update-problem... but i got an updater to
ensure
> >updating
>
> If the IP address changes the connection will be lost. You have to
> reestablish it manually even though you now have an updated IP.
>
> >perhaps it has something to do with the domain?
>
> What domain?
>
> --
>
> Map Of The Vast Right Wing Conspiracy:
> http://www.freewebs.com/vrwc/
>
> "You can all go to hell, and I will go to Texas."
> --David Crockett

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 00:04:10 +0200, "jo"
<anwalt.schneider@t-online.de> wrote:

>but if i have to reestablish manually... how can i do this ?...

Just reconnect the same way you connected initially.

> thought the
>vpn-router does this job automatically... am i wrong?

The router knows nothing about your connection unless it is a
dedicated VPN router.

> i set my
>dyndns.org-adress in the router (for exp. "jo.dyndns.org") and the router
>tells to dyndns.org the ip..

That's not how it works. Dynamic DNS puts an agent in your machine
that continually asks "what is my IP?". The response is placed in
<jo.dyndns.prg> for others to look up. The PPTP VPN software only
checks for the IP when it connects, so if the connection is lost, you
have to reestablish it manually.

>don´t know how i could reestablish manually...

I meant "reestablish the VPN connection" that was broken when your ISP
changed the IP address.

You need static IP addresses for a stable VPN.

As I believe I mentioned, this is just one of many possible causes of
the lost connection. It is not very likely because once your ISP gives
you a WAN address, it stays for a long time unless you power down the
modem.