[SOLVED] VPN Router

manimal46416

Honorable
Mar 29, 2014
I would like a VPN router so I can connect various devices to it to watch US Netflix.

I have a few questions before I proceed:
1) Currently, my modem provided by my ISP also serves as a router. Can I buy a third-party router (that supports VPN) and disable the router function on my modem?

2) I would like only certain devices to connect via VPN, but not all. Is it possible to connect my TVs to the VPN, but exclude phones? How would I be able to do that? Would I need to purchase two routers?

Thanks!

Solution
Your first challenge is to find a vpn that netflix does not block. Currently they block many of them. For some reason people still say that nord works, you would think netflix knows about this.

If you can get your ISP router to run as a modem that would be best but you can run router behind router. Outgoing VPN does not need port mapping etc which is the key problem of router behind router.

This would also to a point solve your problem of some device using the vpn and not others. Just connect the non vpn devices to ISP router.

There are a number of routers that can do client based vpn. I normally don't make specific recommendations but on vpn I will. The problem is some companies like tplink change the internal parts/cpu...
Your first challenge is to find a vpn that netflix does not block. Currently they block many of them. For some reason people still say that nord works, you would think netflix knows about this.

If you can get your ISP router to run as a modem that would be best but you can run router behind router. Outgoing VPN does not need port mapping etc which is the key problem of router behind router.

This would also to a point solve your problem of some device using the vpn and not others. Just connect the non vpn devices to ISP router.

There are a number of routers that can do client based vpn. I normally don't make specific recommendations but on vpn I will. The problem is some companies like tplink change the internal parts/cpu but leave the model the same.

The best router for VPN I have found is a Asus rt-86u. The key reason is this router has a cpu that support VPN encryption acceleration. With most routers you will cap out at 30mbps or so running vpn. This router can do close to 200mbps. I would also load the third party firmware on it from merlin. It makes it much easier to configure VPN. It also has a feature that allows you to put lists of machine that use the vpn and other machines that bypass it. That way you could connect all your equipment to the new router.

Solution

manimal46416

Honorable
Mar 29, 2014

There are a number of routers that can do client based vpn. I normally don't make specific recommendations but on vpn I will. The problem is some companies like tplink change the internal parts/cpu but leave the model the same.

The best router for VPN I have found is a Asus rt-86u. The key reason is this router has a cpu that support VPN encryption acceleration. With most routers you will cap out at 30mbps or so running vpn. This router can do close to 200mbps. I would also load the third party firmware on it from merlin. It makes it much easier to configure VPN. It also has a feature that allows you to put lists of machine that use the vpn and other machines that bypass it. That way you could connect all your equipment to the new router.

Thanks for your reply. There is an Asus rt-86u in the area and I plan on purchasing it.

Would you recommend using the ISP router strictly as a modem and using the Asus as the router or do you recommend "router behind router"? (not that I know what that means).

If you can convert the ISP router to a modem it will make the network simpler to troubleshoot if you have issues.

Router behind router just means you plug the WAN port of your new router into the LAN port of the ISP router. The data now must have NAT done 2 times. There are some ISP routers the ISP will not allow you to run as modem only. Sometime people also do not understand how to change it bridge/modem so it is simpler to just plug the new router into the current one and pretend it is the internet cable coming into the house.