Question VPN Router

Aug 20, 2022
Hello,

I would like to find a router by which is possible to connect to another WiFi network wirelessly. So one which has AP mode or WiFi extend mode. And it is possible to configure VPN client in this mode.

The goal is be able to connect to another public WiFi router wirelessly and via my router provide VPN connection (not side the router and my device).

If there would be a router which would be beside that able to serve as GSM router with VPN client functionality would be a plus.

Is there such router? Could you please recommend me some?

Thank you very much for the answers

kanewolf

Titan
Hello,

I would like to find a router by which is possible to connect to another WiFi network wirelessly. So one which has AP mode or WiFi extend mode. And it is possible to configure VPN client in this mode.

The goal is be able to connect to another public WiFi router wirelessly and via my router provide VPN connection (not side the router and my device).

If there would be a router which would be beside that able to serve as GSM router with VPN client functionality would be a plus.

Is there such router? Could you please recommend me some?

Thank you very much for the answers
How much are you willing to spend ?
To get features you want, you could try an Asus router, with Merlin firmware. You could find a used AC68U or an AX68U (middle performance). Asus and Merlin support USB cellular modems to provide your GSM capability.
The problem with using a router to connect to public WIFI is the login portal. That typically prevents a router from being able to connect.

Aug 20, 2022
How much are you willing to spend ?
To get features you want, you could try an Asus router, with Merlin firmware. You could find a used AC68U or an AX68U (middle performance). Asus and Merlin support USB cellular modems to provide your GSM capability.
The problem with using a router to connect to public WIFI is the login portal. That typically prevents a router from being able to connect.

Thank you very much for answer.
I dont need nothink special. I will always connect just my PC. If there is something cheaper what has Merlin and would not be literally bad I would rather choose something cheap. If you could recommend me something would be great:).
I guess there is not an option what is possible charge via USB? or has powerbank inside?

Does it work with whichever usb modem?
Thank you
Jan

Last edited:
Your best option to solve this is to use 2 different devices. You want a device that will run as a simple client-bridge and then connect it to the wan port. The problem you have using a single device is you have to give up a wifi radio to connect to the public wifi.
This is a rather rare feature you will have to use third party firmware to even consider it. I think openwrt and dd-wrt allow this but it has been a while since I looked at this. Merlin I don't think supports using a wifi radio when the device is in router mode.

You do not really need anything special any router than can run as client-bridge will work. Many have a repeater mode that can be set to this mode rather than repeater. All a client bridge is it acts like a nic card that is connected via ethernet. This allows you to hook it to almost any router that can do the VPN and GSM feature you want.

Support for GSM modems depends a lot on the router you would have to check the list to be sure the modem device is supported. You also need vpn client mode which is getting more common but you need to check the feature.

I would still buy a asus router and run merlin it tends to be the easiest to setup vpn and it has a fairly large list of supported modems. Although it is very close to the factory firmware image the vpn setup is much better/simpler

Which exact asus device is going to depends on how fast you want the vpn to run. Almost every router will not get much more than 20-30mbps. The one exception are routers that use a CPU that has a encryption accelerator. These can get about 200mbps. I know the ac86u and ax86u supports it. I think the ax88u also supports it but you need to check. A clue will be the cpu is rated at 1.8ghz clock. This faster clock helps with the encryption but but it the encryption instruction increase the speed the most. Note other vendors use this cpu but only asus with either the factory firmware or merlin support it.