VPN Setup - First time, Please advise

arotin

Commendable
Apr 22, 2016
Hello,

Disclaimer : im new to the whole VPN thing, and my networking skills arent the greatest so please bare with me and i aplogize in advance.. thank you :)

I want to setup a vpn server so i can connect to my home network from anywhere...

Here is what i have at home :

ISP modem.router (all in one) with dhcp turned off..
Windows server - (dhcp services turned on)
and my other computers connect to the router.

I do not have a second vpn router.. i tried my friends ddwrt and it would not work, now i know if i turned my current modem/router to act only as a modem and bought a vpn router i should be fine... but i was wondering if there was a way i can make my own vpn server without the second router.

Please advise,

Thank you

Solution

gbb0330

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015
1. on your windows server enable routing and remote access - there is a wizard, just go through the steps, setup is pretty straight forward
2. on your ISP modem / router port forward 1723 to the IP of the windows server
3. its a good idea to call your ISP and request a static IP, otherwise your public IP address may change when you are away from home and you will not be able to connect.

arotin

Commendable
Apr 22, 2016

Will this actually just connect me to my network? or just remote desktop into my windows server?, also i tried something like this before and when trying to connect i got an error 800... i however did not enable routing, ill try again with that.

also if this is strictly vpn and not remote desktop - i should be able to connect mac devices too right ?

thank you

gbb0330

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015

VPN only, it will connect you to your network.
No remote desktop.

Solution

Because he is trying to VPN to his home network, what do you mean exactly?