VPN Setup question

I need to know if it's possible to get 2 XP Pro machines to VPN together?
No server setup. Just a workgroup - both machines have comcast as a provider
for the internet. Both machines at their home locations have US Robotics
(model 8300) cable routers for internet sharing. I did all the basics (setup
ipsec, created a vpn group,, enabled routing and remote access. Checked that
port 1723 and GRE 47 were operational both through my Mcafee firewall and
the router at both locations) successfully pinged the assigned address of
each router from each location but when connecting a long pause followed by
a 800 connection error can not connect to remote computer. Again can two XP
Pro computers VPN together???
Any help is greatly appreciated . . . Thanks in advance

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 09:20:23 -0400, "cc0212933" <JBasarab@comcast.net>
wrote:

>I need to know if it's possible to get 2 XP Pro machines to VPN together?

Assuming you are willing to use PPTP, try these references:

http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server.htm
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn.htm

--

Map Of The Vast Right Wing Conspiracy:
http://www.freewebs.com/vrwc/

"You can all go to hell, and I will go to Texas."
--David Crockett

What do you mean by get 2 XP Pro machines to VPN tog.? Are you asking if
VPNclient-VPNserver setup can both be XP pro? The error 800 is generally got
when the VPN client cannot reach the VPN Server.

--

Thanks
Sharoon

"cc0212933" <JBasarab@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I need to know if it's possible to get 2 XP Pro machines to VPN together?
> No server setup. Just a workgroup - both machines have comcast as a
provider
> for the internet. Both machines at their home locations have US Robotics
> (model 8300) cable routers for internet sharing. I did all the basics
(setup
> ipsec, created a vpn group,, enabled routing and remote access. Checked
that
> port 1723 and GRE 47 were operational both through my Mcafee firewall and
> the router at both locations) successfully pinged the assigned address of
> each router from each location but when connecting a long pause followed
by
> a 800 connection error can not connect to remote computer. Again can two
XP
> Pro computers VPN together???
> Any help is greatly appreciated . . . Thanks in advance

If those instructions ONLY worked, wouldn't it be wonderful