VPN slows my connection to a CRAWL!

PatrickGSR94

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
For some time I have had a VPN connection to my office which I use to transfer files from work so I can work on them at home. I have our main shared project drive mapped as the Z:\ drive on my home PC, which is the same way we have it at work. Sometimes I also use RDP to my office workstation if I'm working on larger files that my home PC by itself can't handle.

This week, however, I noticed that when the VPN is connected, it seems I'm accessing everything outside of home (internet, RDP, etc) through the actual office ISP.

For instance I have Comcast cable internet at home. When I go to Speedtest.net it shows my ISP and current IP, and I get speeds of around 14+ Mbps down and 2 to 3 Mbps up. When VPN is active, though, Speedtest.net shows my ISP as Comcast Business Class and shows our office network's main IP address. But here's the kicker: I can BARELY manage to get 0.95 Mbps down and 0.25 Mbps up... i.e. 125 KBps down and a ridiculous 32 KBps up.

For some reason I haven't noticed this issue before this week, but now when I try to use RDP to work on larger files on my *much* more powerful office workstation, the RDP interface keeps freezing and dropping the connection every 10-15 minutes for sometimes upwards of 5+ minutes at a time. It's extremely frustrating.

Is there any way I can connect to RDP using our office network IP address without having to have the VPN connection active?

PatrickGSR94

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
I'm reading up on Terminal Services Gateway as a way to connect to my office computer without VPN, but it appears that's only on Win Server 2008. Our office is running 2003. Is there anything comparable to TS Gateway on Server 2003, or some other way I can connect remotely to my office workstation (domain computer)?

Jlane15

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
Patrick, I have a user with the same problem. When her family members are connected to the wireless router they have no issues sharing the bandwidth...however when she connects to the office va VPN, it brings the network to a halt....

PatrickGSR94

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
What we ended up doing was setting up a direct connection through our firewall to my workstation using port 3390 (normal RDP defaults to 3389 I believe). We had to set up some exceptions or something (can't remember the whole procedure) in the firewall itself, on my workstation, and also in the registry on my workstation.

Now I can click the RDP shortcut on my machine at home and connect directly with no VPN connection required. Unfortunately I can't be more specific as our IT consultant helped me set it up and I can't remember everything that was done.

PatrickGSR94

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
Well I keep getting e-mails asking if I got an answer to the question, and I have posted the solution I took, yet I cannot choose my post as "best answer"... so not sure how to stop getting these e-mails about it.

TRENDING THREADS