VPN to SBS2003 - PPTP works, L2TP doesn't

I'm trying to make a VPN connection to a SBS2003 server.

Using the 'Connect to Small Business Server' application, connection
always fails with an error 691 (Access was denied because the username
and/or password was invalid on the domain.)

Creating a VPN connection manually, I can connect using PPTP. Using
L2TP, the connection fails with an error 781 (connection requires a
certificate, and no certificate was found)

How do I get the server to issue a certificate? From within the
network, I can go to http://servername/certsrv, but how do I do that
remotely?

VPN using PPTP to the network, visit the CertSrv page and get your
certificate, then configure the L2TP/IPSEC connection.

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com