[SOLVED] VPN to VPN issue

Madge67

Reputable
Sep 14, 2015
Hi guys

I am currently in Spain but work for a UK company (usually based in the uk but come over for extended periods and got stuck in lockdown here). I have a spanish ISP in my spanish home..obviously - we connect to a UK vpn extender by ethernet because we work upstairs to and as this uk router gives us access to UK TV as well. Ive been working this way for 2 years whilst Im in Spain no problem

Last week we had an ISP outage and since then weve not been able to connect to the works vpn. It allows us to log onto the sunray thin client but cant load the log int screen for the works vpn. The screen tries to load but its all broken up and ist like there's not enough ....how can I explain 'umph' to load properly.

The ISP have told us everything is okay their end. The UK VPN people have said the same. The UK router connects fine via ethernet to everything else and the connection is fine going straight into the ISP. Everyone is saying its all good their end but Im scratching my head as we cant seem to get to the bottom of the issue .

Any ideas please

Madge

Solution
This is going to be tricky if the vpn is on the thin client itself. These systems tend to be kinda proprietary so you may need your IT guys help.

Now if I understand correctly if you hook the thin client directly to the spain ISP it works. It only has trouble if you attempt to run it over the vpn connection.

VPN over VPN can be tricky at times. The most common issues are ip address conflict. Ie both using the same subnets. You can also have a MTU issue. This can cause unexpected packet fragmentation which can increase the load on end devices on ether end. You can try to manually force the mtu lower on the client if you can figure out how to do it. The clients in general should figure out the mtu but there are issue...
This is going to be tricky if the vpn is on the thin client itself. These systems tend to be kinda proprietary so you may need your IT guys help.

Now if I understand correctly if you hook the thin client directly to the spain ISP it works. It only has trouble if you attempt to run it over the vpn connection.

VPN over VPN can be tricky at times. The most common issues are ip address conflict. Ie both using the same subnets. You can also have a MTU issue. This can cause unexpected packet fragmentation which can increase the load on end devices on ether end. You can try to manually force the mtu lower on the client if you can figure out how to do it. The clients in general should figure out the mtu but there are issue some times when the vpn software is running on the end client itself that it does not figure it out correctly.

Hard to say these are only a guess. This is where you need to watch the vpn diagnostic messages to see if anything stands out as being a problem.

Solution
Thanks for your answer but the thin client is fine as its connectin to the ISP router fine
I don't it's fine because it is having trouble loading the vpn client, which can indicate some sort of hardware issue. If it hasn't been rebooted in a while, I would try that first. If that doesn't work, turn it off and let it sit long enough to cool down, and then try it again.